Field Hockey Offense Tries New Formation

The departure of former stars Abby Martin, Abbey Woolley and Carrie Lingo has left UNC with only three seniors and one junior this season. But the young squad has set a high standard for itself.

"We're going to try and win every game," said UNC head coach Karen Shelton. "We've got a very challenging schedule. We're not going to be able to look past anyone. Each game should be a stepping stone for our team."

With this year's schedule loaded with top teams like Old Dominion, Virginia, Maryland and Kent State, the Tar Heels will have to grind their way through if they hope to better last year's first-round exit from the NCAA tournament.

This season, a more balanced offense prompted a switch in the team's field formation. Last year, UNC played a 4-3-3 scheme that provided more opportunities for the team to capitalize on the offensive talents of its top players.

However, this year the team has switched to a 4-4-2, which should promote a balanced attack and more defensive support.

Returning to lead the UNC front line is Kerry Falgowski, last season's leading scorer, and Amber Chambers. Chambers and Falgowski will shoulder most of the offensive load created by the departure of Woolley, Martin and Lingo, who combined for 34 goals last year.

Back on defense, veteran goalkeeper Amy Tran looks to repeat last year's All-American performance.

"We look really good on defense," Tran said. "We have some depth in our defense, which is a first because we usually don't have very many subs."

Tran will get help this year from a diverse backfield that includes true freshman Naomi Weatherald, redshirt freshman Alex Otto, sophomore Carey Fetting-Smith and junior Alison Stewart.

As for Saturday, UNC plans to make Michigan the first step in its climb toward a national title.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.