Jobs Give the Chance to Grow, Give Back

Carrboro's Club Nova finds area jobs for mentally ill residents

She spreads information and distributes pamphlets about mental illnesses, and she serves as a board member for the Mental Health Association of Orange County.

She also happens to have a mental illness.

Stroud, who did not specify which mental illness she has, is one of many members of Club Nova's transitional employment program, which aims to provide temporary employment for people with mental illnesses.

Stroud said she became involved with Club Nova, a nonprofit organization in Carrboro that serves as a resource for mentally ill people, in February 2001 and has enjoyed steady employment ever since.

"It really helped me get out of bed and gave me something to look forward to each day," Stroud said.

After a clerical position with the mental health association, Stroud said she became more interested in mental health issues.

"Being that I have a mental illness, I became concerned about spreading information," Stroud said.

"The job really inspired me."

She said her initial goal was to go to churches in the area and pass out information. She then started collecting information from seminars and began to speak at forums. Eventually, Stroud, 32, was asked to serve on the organization's board.

"I was really honored to be asked," Stroud said. "It is a great opportunity."

Joan Burnett, a Club Nova staff member for 12 years, said the program, strictly for the mentally ill, has been extremely successful.

She said the program staff find jobs for members and then train the interested members for the jobs, which usually last six to nine months.

Burnett acknowledge that some difficulties associated with mental illnesses, such as hospitalization, lead to some initial trepidation among employers.

"There is some apprehension by employers because there are often lots of questions and some uncertainty," Burnett said.

"It is often hard for employers to understand some of the problems associated with a mental illness."

Evonne Bradford, executive director of the mental health organization and the person who hired Stroud, said she agrees that there can be worry among transitional employers. "Anytime a person is deemed different there is some natural apprehension," Bradford said. "But one of the best approaches to overcoming stigma is to get to know and understand what is being stigmatized."

Burnett said the Club Nova staff members generally overcome these employment obstacles through advocating. "We usually go and speak with the employer and discuss each potential employee's traits," she said.

"The employers often find that these people want to work and can do a good job -- often better than some of their other employees."

Tommy Brickhouse, University Mail Services manager, who has been hiring people in the program for about 12 years, said his involvement with the program has been beneficial to his business.

"There has never been a situation with Club Nova that has caused any kind of concern," Brickhouse said. "These are highly functional individuals, and they always provide us with a real service."

Marty King, manager of Nice Price Books in Carrboro, who has also hired employees from the transitional employment program, said working with Club Nova members is as much as a learning experience for him as for the employees.

"People always have preconceived notions about mental illnesses," King said. "Every employee has been a great asset to us, and I've learned a lot by working with them."

Currently, King employs Crayton Wanders, a founding member of Club Nova who gained employment at Nice Price four years ago independently after working two jobs through the transitional employment program.

Wanders, 51, says programs like Club Nova's have been innovative in helping to rehabilitate mentally ill people.

"In many ways, this is a road back for the mentally ill," Wanders said. "It helps them help themselves."

For Angela Stroud, the program has not only helped her find a job but also helped her make a difference in the community. "It helped me live a stable life again and placed me back into society," Stroud said.

"Through my work with the mental health association, I also get to give back to society."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.