Students' Return Good for Local Business

Summer is always a lean time for Chapel Hill business owners, as the University closes its doors and sends its 25,000 consumers away for three months. This summer revenue drought usually prompts several businesses to close and incites others to take their place in the hopes of cashing in once August arrives.

Robert Humphreys, executive director of Chapel Hill's Downtown Commission, said this summer didn't stall as many businesses as it has in the past.

"Last year, 15 businesses went out," Humphreys said, adding that only six businesses folded this year. "This was a hard summer, though."

For the six businesses to fall this summer, five businesses are setting up shop. Among these are Classic Contemporary Fashions, Mayberry Creamery, the Laughing Turtle Home Store and a Malaysian restaurant slated to open at the former Pyewacket location.

Another new Chapel Hill business, Ralph's Italian Ices, opened Thursday. Ralph's originated in New York in 1928. The Chapel Hill venue is the first Ralph's to open in the state. Owner Chris Daino said Chapel Hill is an ideal location for an italian ice shop because the demand is here in the hot seasons. "It's not a thing that only Northerners enjoy," he said.

The newest addition to the store's 80 flavors is Tar Heel Blue, a blue raspberry flavor aptly named to reflect its new location. Ralph's will be open from March through December. "I want students to know we're here as a place to hang out," Daino said. "Wedgie's (a sandwich shop next door) and Ralph's are going to work together to light up this area."

Daino said Ralph's will be open until 3 a.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

As new businesses joined the ranks of Franklin Street merchants, Chapel Hill business veterans tried some new ideas to stay competitive.

Buffalo Wild Wings underwent a renovation project during the month of June. The project was spawned by the transition of the restaurant from a franchise, BW-3's, to part of the corporate organization. All locations that are encompassed by the corporate headquarters are called Buffalo Wild Wings, hence the name change.

The renovation project added about 20 televisions and two big screens to the restaurant while enlarging the size of the bar. A jukebox also was installed with Bose speakers to enhance the sound.

"We gutted out the whole inside," said Assistant Manager Lisa Cupitt. "We're happy with it, and we hope it creates a better atmosphere for people."

Assistant City Editors Michael Davis and Jamie Dougher contributed to this story.
The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.