Undergrad Opens to Speeches of Praise

New library houses high-tech video lab.

Student Body President Jen Daum spoke these words Monday at the re-opening of the Undergraduate Library, closed for renovations for the past 20 months.

Several speeches, a performance by the Clef Hangers and a ribbon cutting by Daum and Chancellor James Moeser celebrated the library's opening.

David Taylor, librarian of the Undergrad for 27 years, spoke to the crowd of about 200 students, faculty and government officials about the benefits the library will provide students.

The Undergrad has seen many changes since its opening in 1968, he said, but nothing this drastic. The renovation's total bill was $9.8 million.

"We wanted a building that was worthy of the students," Taylor said in his speech. "We wanted a library where people could not only watch movies, but make a movie."

Taylor was referring to a new laboratory with digital video editing equipment that any student can use. There are also plasma televisions, an expanded computer lab, new study rooms and furniture by Thomas Moser, a premier manufacturer of library furniture.

In his speech, the chancellor thanked many donors for providing the financial support for the renovation. The project was the first to be completed using funds from the $3.1 billion N.C. Higher Education Bond, passed in 2000, he said.

"To the voters of North Carolina, I say thank you," Moeser said. "Any citizen of North Carolina can come and use this library, which was renovated for its sons and daughters."

The new Undergrad is a step toward ensuring that UNC is the top public university in the nation, Moeser said. "We are celebrating a library that is a pillar of academic freedom and strength. The combination of a great library, academic freedom and a great staff is a privilege and a necessity," he said.

Larry Alford, deputy University librarian, said after the ceremony that the Undergrad will be student-friendly because of all the features that will be available in one place. "We tried to integrate the technology and book collections together, so it really is a bridge to learning and discovery," Alford said.

Daum said in her speech that she is excited to use the new library.

"As someone who studied in the old library and dealt with two years of construction, I'm thrilled to see what we have," Daum said. "On behalf of the students, thank you for the renovation."

Senior Natalie Halbach attended the ribbon cutting and explored the library after the ceremony. She said the changes look great but she hopes the drastic differences are not confusing to students.

"I think it's beautiful," Halbach said. "It will take some time to see how functional it is, but I'm sure we will get used to it."