Area Museums, Galleries Offer Artistic Escapes

Closest to home is the Ackland Art Museum, located near the intersection of South Columbia and Franklin streets. Andy Berner, director of communications for the Ackland, said the current exhibits focus on diverse religions.

"We have 'Word and Worship: Approaching Islam Through Art' and 'Buddhist Art and Artifact from Nepal and Tibet,'" he said. "We're also the only significant collection of Asian art in North Carolina."

The Ackland has free admission and is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.

The Chapel Hill environs beyond the campus boundaries also offer several opportunities for artistic admiration.

Somerhill Gallery is located on East Franklin Street in Eastgate Shopping Center. Holly Anderson, the gallery's jewelry curator, said Somerhill is dedicated to featuring contemporary living artists.

"We sell paintings, sculpture, glass and jewelry from all over the country," she said. "We're the largest art gallery in the southeastern U.S."

The gallery is open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Saturday.

Masters of Light Gallery is located in University Mall. Garry Meldrum, the gallery's owner, said it tries to live up to its name by selecting artists who paint diverse depictions of light.

"We tend to go for artists with unique personalities," he said. "Our current exhibit features Simon Bull, who is England's most-collected living artist."

Masters of Light is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Saturday and stays open until 9 p.m. Friday. On Sunday, the gallery is open from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Those looking for a more hands-on approach to art should try the North Carolina Crafts Gallery, located at 212 W. Main St. in Carrboro.

Debbie Suchoff, a salesperson at the gallery, said the featured crafts are overwhelmingly produced by North Carolina artists.

"We really represent the flavor of the talent in the area," she said.

The gallery's main room features artist Coy Quakenbush, who makes pottery in an ancient Native American tradition. Another room is showcasing a gallery of quilts.

"There's just so much to see here," Suchoff said.

The North Carolina Crafts Gallery is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.

There is no admission fee for the gallery.

Opportunities for the art lover also abound beyond Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

The N.C. Museum of Art, at 2110 Blue Ridge Road in Raleigh, features the state's varied art collection.

While the wing housing the European art collection is under renovation, the exhibition of "Selections from the Birds of America by John James Audubon" is on display through Dec. 1.

The museum is open Wednesday through Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.