Carolina Inn Draws Visitors With Tradition

Special events planned for game weekends.

Rarely does a hotel blend in with its surroundings as well as The Carolina Inn.

In a hotel world filled with red roofs and highway off-ramp views, The Carolina Inn's historic surroundings and AAA four-diamond amenities have made it a Chapel Hill landmark for almost 80 years.

"We consider ourselves the University's living room," said Sara Gray, Carolina Inn's director of operations. "Throughout history we've remained such a special place."

The Inn, located at 211 Pittsboro St., was built in 1924 by UNC graduate John Sprunt Hill.

In 1935, Hill gave the inn to the University to serve as "a cheerful inn for visitors, a town hall for the state and a home for returning sons and daughters" of his alma mater.

Gray said UNC alumni have always had a strong presence at the hotel.

"We mean a lot to the alumni," Gray said. "Everyone has a favorite room and a favorite view of campus.

"They come back to relive their time at Carolina."

The inn, a four-diamond hotel, has 184 guest rooms, with five luxury suites and two VIP suites, all of which Gray said are usually filled to capacity during special events.

"The weekends of all home football games are completely booked by April," Gray said. "We sell them out in about 30 minutes to about 600 people a weekend."

During the home games, Gray said, many special events take place. On Friday night, there is a manager's reception, which allows guests the chance to mingle.

"Many of the same guests come back week after week," Gray said. "They are all true Tar Heel fans."

Gray said the hospitality is just one of the many reasons why people have been drawn to the inn for several decades.

"The atmosphere is what really attracts our guests," Gray said. "You immediately feel the Southern charm."

Gray also cited the inn's proximity to campus, its valet parking and other unique services as reasons for its sustained popularity.

"Many people enjoy the short distance to campus," Gray said. "Once they park their cars, they usually never have to use them the rest of their stay."

The inn, the only hotel in downtown Chapel Hill, was remodeled in 1996 at a cost of $16.5 million, which Gray said added modern features while still maintaining historical ambience.

The inn also includes 12,500 square feet of meeting and banquet space, three ballrooms, and a Mobil four-star winning restaurant -- Carolina CrossRoads. It also is the location of many weddings, banquets, academic conferences and business meetings.

"Our hotel is not like any other," Gray said. "It is extremely unique to have any kind of hotel, let alone a luxury one, on a university campus."

The Carolina Inn was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999, cementing its architectural and social significance at UNC.

"Our lobby is like a walking tour of campus," Gray said. "Pictures of campus throughout the years really make our guests feel at home."

But behind all the hallowed history, romantic ballrooms and 1920s decor, Gray said, the relationship between the guests and staff is what sets the Inn apart from other hotels.

"We are a big family here," Gray said. "We get to know all of the guests, cater to their needs at all times.

"We have always maintained a sense of community."