Carrboro Aldermen Plan Budget Review

Town Manager Robert Morgan requested that the board speak to some specific ideas concerning the budget that will be discussed in detail at board retreats in December and January.

"We need to know what the ideas are so we can investigate and bring back a format (for the retreat)," Morgan said.

At the retreats, the board plans to review the five-year plan and the Capital Improvements Plan, as well as track cuts made last year, among other issues facing the town. "We're all worried," said Alderman Jacquelyn Gist. "We need a serious re-examination of the CIP and the five-year plan. We need to reassure ourselves and our taxpayers that we can accommodate that."

Gist said the plans need to be re-evaluated because of changes in the economy and with the citizens of Carrboro.

"I think we have a fairly ambitious CIP and five-year plan," she said. "With a downturn in the economy, we may have to look at postponing some things."

Gist used the example of a house and its owner. If the house needed painting but the owner had a mortgage, the owner would make his mortgage payments before spending money on home improvements. She said Carrboro must look at its budget and prioritize what the town needs most. "It's a critical financial time," Gist said. "Sometimes even in your personal budget you may have to cut things you see as necessities."

Gist said improving Carrboro's parks and the development of new public works facilities and a fire station are elements the town does need to address.

But she said other concerns -- such as funding police, fire stations and general road maintenance -- take precedence in times of financial cutbacks.

Gist also stressed that no budget talks are concrete as of yet because the board will not discuss anything until the retreats. The board will not take final action until February.

Alderman John Herrera mentioned the possibility of eliminating a tax increase for the town. "One of the options I would like to see the board consider is a zero tax increase for the (2002-03) budget," he said.

Other proposals included Alderman Diana McDuffee's suggestion to monitor the town's spending, specifically on engineering projects with Sungate Design Group, P.A., the firm the town uses when it needs to employ engineers to work in specialized areas.

"We should start tracking some of those things ... in an effort to minimize how much we call in Sungate," she said. "Don't send things to them that could be done by our own staff."

Alderman Alex Zaffron said the board should review its plans on an annual basis.

"We need a re-evaluation of the CIP to meet emerging trends and needs," he said. "We need to look at a reasonable explanation of what's going to happen from a legislative standpoint," referring to additional budget cuts that could come from the state.

McDuffee said there are built-in tax increases the board should address each year as a model for potential increases.

"Every year we should evaluate it," she said. "If we don't start thinking about the budget until May, we're boxed in. We can lay out a schedule now."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.