Ex-Tar Heel Nicholson Returns To Haunt UNC

And for Davidson's Keith Nicholson, breaking UNC's 15-game home winning streak couldn't have been sweeter.

The former Tar Heel scored the only goal of match in the 50th minute Saturday night at Fetzer Field, giving Davidson the 1-0 upset win against UNC.

Nicholson failed to make the North Carolina varsity soccer team as a walk-on his sophomore year, after practicing with the team during the spring of his freshman year.

After his sophomore year, Nicholson transferred to Davidson. Now in his second year as a Wildcat, he gained his revenge with the match-winning goal.

"I can't describe the feeling," Nicholson said. "It's like scoring 70 points in a basketball game, all packed into one moment."

As enthralled as Nicholson was, that's how frustrated the Tar Heels must be. An ugly win over Long Island on Thursday preceded the Saturday's loss to the Wildcats.

But the loss could be one that UNC needed.

"I think this will be a turning point in our work ethic and attitude," said UNC midfielder Matt Crawford.

The Wildcats, however, did not dominate the game by any means. UNC outshot Davidson 14-3 and controlled the ball most of the game. But it was Nicholson who was in the right place at the right time. His goal came on a deflected UNC clear that ricocheted off his thigh and went over goalkeeper Ford Williams' head into the goal.

The Wildcats packed in their defense the entire game, and the UNC attack did not properly adjust.

"We were shut out on our home field because we did not create any significant chances," Bolowich said. "We should have been able to score three or four goals tonight. The game was lost by the front line."

Regardless of how UNC reacts to the loss, the win is monstrous for the Davidson program.

"It's a great win for us," Nicholson said. And a most satisfying one for him.

"I guess they might wish they'd put me on their team," he said of UNC. "But I'm happy where I am."

Who knows? Nicholson might have helped UNC more as a Davidson midfielder than he would have as a walk-on, having taught the Tar Heels a lesson.

Said Crawford: "They just gave a harder effort. And it showed with the result."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.