Fiesta Creates Latino Music, Dancing Experience

It all boiled down to the music.

Musicians and dancers were everywhere, each one representing a different and unique facet of the Latino world.

Under a small tent next to the playground, the haunting tone of pan pipes melded itself to a lilting Spanish guitar as a traditional Peruvian ensemble evoked visions of Andean vistas.

Both instruments were periodically drowned out by the roar of a nearby soccer game, where the announcer's frenzied play-by-play provided the spectators with all the music they wanted.

Back inside the school, the polite titter of a flute followed visitors around the Cultural Exhibit. Next to the photo exhibit, Peruvian jeweler Fernando Boza sat behind a table of his wares, seemingly oblivious to the low-key flute player.

Music was everywhere, in every shape and form imaginable. And the music's effect on the crowd, while subtle, was unmistakable. Walking took on a new and sensual nature, adjusting itself to the pervasive Latino beat. The music added a swagger and fluidity to every motion, and everywhere people danced.

Children tugged reluctant parents into motion, skipping and twirling along with thunderous Caribbean drumming next to the indoor dance stage, where the dance troupe Venezuelan Bailadores Folkl