Kinnaird Ousts Lee From Senate

Lee's campaign manager says recount unlikely

In the final tally, Kinnaird came out on top in the highly contested race for the Democratic nomination in N.C. Senate District 23.

Kinnaird will represent Orange and Chatham counties' Democrats in the general election. Peter Morcombe, who has faced no opposition for the Republican nomination, also is running for the seat.

Kinnaird was humble in accepting the news of her unofficial victory.

"The victory -- as slim as it is -- belongs to you," Kinnaird said to a room full of family, friends and supporters. "This is your victory.

"I think that you are not guaranteed with a grassroots campaign, but you do have the spirit of the people, which gives you a base of supporters."

Kinnaird only won by about 200 votes, less than 1 percent of the total cast, leaving the door wide open for Lee to legally request a recount.

"A recount has not been discussed in any serious fashion," said Todd Barlow, Lee's campaign manager. "We don't expect a recount would change anything."

This election marks the end of a six-term career for Lee in the N.C. Senate. He said he plans to serve in the public spotlight but will not run for any elected position again.

"I've had a tremendous political career, and this is likely to be the end of an era," Lee said. "I will finish my term in the state legislature, and I promise I will continue to have influence in the state."

Kinnaird said she thinks Tuesday's results are in no way final and anticipates a recount or an alteration in the numbers.

"I feel very uncertain," Kinnaird said. "That's all I feel. It's not over by a long shot."

Lee said he is not optimistic about the district's representation in the Senate once he leaves office. "We have reached a point in this county, our county, where most people choose to place symbolism over substance," he said.

"I am concerned about our future, very concerned. Senator Kinnaird needs to learn to be a team player in the General Assembly."

He said Kinnaird might face a rude awakening when she returns to the Senate next year.

"It is indeed possible she will realize that she is now the only voice in this county and I won't be around to pick up the pieces if things crumble," he said.

But Lee said he takes responsibility for his defeat by his long-time friend and fellow senator.

"The bottom line is that I've never blamed anyone else for my loss except me," he said. "We just didn't get the vote out. That's nobody's fault but my own."

But supporters such as former Chapel Hill Mayor Rosemary Waldorf think otherwise.

Waldorf said, "Most of us (in his campaign) are standing around and wondering what else we could have done."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.