Mayer Leaves Behind Reality and Audience at Regency Park

John Mayer
Amphitheatre at Regency Park

Its stage encircled by tall trees on a cool and cloudless night, the Amphitheatre at Regency Park in Cary reminded John Mayer of the "Star Wars" planet of Endor.

A fitting place for the young singer/songwriter's concert Sept. 7.

Sporting a Mickey Mouse T-shirt and riding high on the success of his breakthrough hit, "No Such Thing," Mayer was sometimes as sweet and silly as an Ewok. Other times, he made as much sense as a Wookie.

His mellow lyrics and smooth guitar-driven pop made for an almost CD-perfect set. With the exception of sporadic guitar solos, the audience's singalong favorites "No Such Thing," "Love Song for No One" and "Why Georgia" were just what you'd hear on Mayer's debut album, Room for Squares.

Mayer briefly displayed a darker side when he performed three unreleased tracks. With vocals huskier than usual, he shone on "Something's Missing," a radio-ready tune that relied heavily on bass to carry its melancholy mood. Adding some edgy electric guitar riffs, Mayer lent the song a pensive intensity that his mostly acoustic album lacks.

But just as soon as he'd gain the crowd's approval with an energetic tune, Mayer would distance himself again. He indulged in lengthy intros that showcased a not-so-broad stylistic range, wavering between jazz and funk while making the audience restless.

His banter between songs consisted of random thoughts that only vaguely tied into the tune that followed, leaving the audience to wonder when the concert would resume, as if they had intruded on Mayer's private session, thinking aloud while strumming to himself.

A little self-deprecating humor and several 1980s references scattered throughout the show helped Mayer reconnect with his mostly-Generation Y audience. These included a random story about the time a Diet Coke commercial made him cry and an encore cover of INXS hit "Never Tear Us Apart."

"I hope that we get to grow old together, and I hope we stay young together," Mayer said, closing out the set with his ode to childhood, "83," finishing with a medley including Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" and "Let's Hear It for the Boy" from the "Footloose" soundtrack.

Granted, Mayer is a talented musician -- but for a guy who is used to playing more intimate shows in Atlanta's club circuit, he simply didn't put enough effort into engaging the audience.

Concertgoers could've left a little more satisfied had Mayer spent less time in his own little world and more time in the real one.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.