Moeser to Outline Long-Term Goals

State of the University Address at 3 p.m. today

"I am going to lay out measures of excellence that the University needs to focus on to become the leading public university in the nation," Moeser said Tuesday.

Over the past year, UNC has made great strides toward that goal, Moeser said. He added that massive fund-raising efforts and a commitment to academic freedom have been two signs that the University is evolving as an institute of higher learning.

Another part of the speech will cover the campus response to the events of Sept. 11, including the controversies over last year's anti-war teach-ins and this year's summer reading program, Moeser said.

Anticipated state budget cuts to the University's budget also will be addressed, but not to a great extent.

"I will talk about the state budget, but only briefly because it is still in a state of flux," Moeser said.

And some campus leaders agreed that Moeser's speech should look beyond the short-term budget cuts and focus more on the long-term goals of the University.

"I hope that he will talk about the long-range mission of the University and how we can best fulfill that mission," said Student Body President Jen Daum.

Getting through the past year has been tough for Moeser, Daum said, but his connection with the students helped him determine what was best for the University. "He encountered some unforeseen circumstances, and thus far he has done an extremely good job communicating with student government."

Ending the binding early decision policy for undergraduate applicants, the success of the Carolina First fund-raising program and defending academic freedom through the summer reading program were all actions taken by Moeser that helped the University a great deal, said Student Body Vice President Aaron Hiller.

"I think the chancellor has started off the year on some really positive notes," he said. "I am genuinely excited to see what he has to say (today)."

An important point faculty members hope to hear about today is the balance between the humanities and Moeser's other projects, including raising funds and technological advancements, said Sue Estroff, chairwoman of the Faculty Council.

She said the study of the humanities cannot take a back seat to these other projects at a University.

"At this point we're looking for some intellectual leadership," Estroff said. "He's proven himself to be a champion of the principles of this University, and he's earned a lot of respect for that."

Tommy Griffin, chairman of the Employee Forum, said Moeser has responded well to concerns voiced last year by staff members but that he does not expect this speech to address the staff directly. "With the budget crisis how it is, I don't know how much else he has to talk about," Griffin said.

Provost Robert Shelton said he is looking forward to hearing about the strong academic programs and great undergraduate experience UNC can provide. Moeser has led the University admirably in the past year and has great accomplishments to talk about, Shelton said.

"I think there is a constant theme of being the best and taking the lead."