NYC Photos on Display at Open Eye

Shots focus on the city, not Sept. 11.

But the photos don't focus on what's missing in New York -- they focus on the diversity and spirit that remains.

The pictures, taken by UNC alumnus Joshua Corbin, showcase the elegance and personality of New York City and shy away from the type of graphic images used constantly by the media since the World Trade Center attacks. As a resident of lower Manhattan, Corbin captured many images before, during and after September of last year.

The range of the photographs is impeccable. Pictures of fire-breathers at Coney Island's "Mermaid Parade" showcase the spirit of the city, while images of the City of Light Memorial show one way New York coped with Sept. 11.

"The idea wasn't to capitalize on the gore factor," said cafe owner Scott Connary. "The exhibit is more about reflection."

In addition to capturing the splendor of the city, several pictures serve as a poignant reminder of what happened one year ago.

In a photograph simply titled "Chinatown, 2002," Corbin shows two Asian children peering out of a brick-lined window with a small, tattered American flag gently blowing in the wind. The picture silently reveals the scope of the sorrow felt in New York City.

It's pictures like these, not pictures of Ground Zero, that really encapsulate the suffering that occurred on Sept. 11 -- which is something that people need to remember, said Connary.

"It seems like people are distancing themselves from the reality of it and forget that the people that lost their lives were just going through an average day."

Among the pictures that hang on the walls of the Open Eye Cafe, about half are not directly related to Sept. 11 and instead serve to celebrate the daily life of the city.

The other half of the exhibit illustrates the perseverance of New York City citizens after the tragedy.

Regardless of the nature of the pictures, the fact that Corbin is a New Yorker himself strengthens the connection between the artist and his work.

"These aren't from some outsider, it's someone who actually lives right on the edge of Chinatown -- that's what I pull from looking at these pictures," Connary said.

Like all New Yorkers, Corbin has an acute understanding of what happened on Sept. 11, and his photographs reflect his unique and personal connection to the city.

"What really struck me was that it is about real life -- about the area and the people."

The exhibit runs until the end of September. For more information, call the Open Eye Cafe at 968-9410.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.