Stereotypes About Feminism Are Unfounded and Damaging

"Femiphobia," my term for the fear of feminism, is widespread. Feminism has been labeled radical, but is it really? The American Heritage Dictionary defines feminism as the "belief in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes." That is not radical at all.

I'm going to assume most women, and many men, agree with equality between the sexes. If you still believe that women should be submissive and devote their lives to having babies, stop reading this now and re-evaluate your whole point of existence.

I doubt, however, that there are many who still believe in this old-fashioned definition. After making several milestones toward equality, women have become more demanding of their rights, taking stances on issues that mean something to them.

But many people don't feel women are oppressed anyway. Until recently, I've always considered myself disadvantaged as a black person, not as a woman. After looking into the issue deeper, you start to realize it all works together, although sexual inequality sometimes is less logical.

For instance, if minority inequality is defended by the claim that outnumbered groups will be disadvantaged, what is the defense for a subjugated group that comprises more than half the population?

Feminist ideology is diverse, although it is rarely painted that way. Nowadays, the "typical" feminist has been identified the way described earlier -- a woman who thinks all men are evil and that women would be better off without men at all. Castration is supposedly a thumbs-up solution to the feminist.

This stereotype, no doubt egged on by the media, has served as a very powerful means of preventing women from identifying themselves as feminists. Consequently, women's achievements are being stagnated also. Taking comfort out of female-bonding experiences means disrupting unity between them, and unity is essential to progress.

Now let's set the record straight. Feminism and man-hating are not synonymous. Of course there are some feminists who do, but the percentage is small. Besides, you can find plenty of non-feminists who hate men.

One might even argue that feminism makes relations with men healthier, as opposed to worse. It teaches a woman to respect herself as more than a sex object. That's a lesson worth having, and living by it forces men to respect her as well.

Feminism is not only beneficial or necessary for women. Men have an obligation to try to fight sexism, just as much as whites are responsible for trying to end racism. Although it is challenging to get that commitment, support from both sides makes any agenda stronger. Feminism helps one understand all social inequalities and formulate how they all tie in together -- a genderless and raceless lesson.

If feminism still frightens you, take steps toward conquering your fear. Femiphobia, like any phobia, can be conquered. Realize that feminism is not an attempt for women to take over the world but to make it a better place for women.

Once you realize many of the issues feminism tries to tackle -- reproductive rights, domestic abuse, rape, etc. -- you have no choice but to realize some of them mean something to you. As a woman you are faced with them, and as a man your sister, lover or mother is. Not caring is not an option.

It's time to stop letting bitter-woman stereotypes hold feminism back. There is no need to hide from the feminist label or reject it. If more people took the time to actually understand feminism, the word could become synonymous with other "f" words besides the dirty one -- maybe more on the lines of fundamental, fair and most importantly free.

Love me or hate me, praise me or condemn me. It's all interchangeable. Reach me at drayton@email.unc.edu.