Action-Packed Jackson Flick Recycles Reliable, Fun 'Formula'

"Formula 51"

Samuel L. Jackson, one of the coolest customers, smoothest operators and hardest-working men in Hollywood, is back to reassert his badness in "Formula 51."

Unfortunately, as has been the case with a number of his movies, the film's potential fails to meet that of its star.

Jackson plays Elmo McElroy, a chemist who double-crosses his vicious, drug-dealing employer, the Lizard (Meat Loaf). Catching the next available flight to Liverpool, Elmo seeks a tidy sum for his new wonder drug -- a concoction that is 51 times as potent as the most highly publicized banned substances.

Meanwhile, the Lizard has survived Elmo's plot and sends Dakota (Emily Mortimer), a beautiful but brutal British sharpshooter, after the man and his formula.

In England, Elmo bumps into local miscreant Felix DeSouza (Robert Carlyle). All Felix wants to do is see the upcoming soccer match between Manchester United and his beloved Liverpool -- think Yankees-Red Sox -- and possibly patch things up with Dakota, who just so happens to be his former flame.

Despite their initial dislike for each other, the Yank and the Limey must team up to deal with a corrupt cop, a gang of hyperactive skinheads, a variety of drug pushers and spotty English cuisine. Mayhem ensues. Director Ronny Yu maintains a crackling pace and liberally cycles through different camera angles in making his style as manic as the characters and plot.

Like most recent high-energy flicks involving colorful criminals, "Formula 51" has a two-faced script. It's edgy at times, but too often it resorts to using barrages of profanity to make up for a general lack of inspiration. As a result, Jackson isn't nearly as eloquent or electric as he can be, but he still is capable of bringing some of his trademark swagger to the role.

Carlyle mixes some of the boorishness that marked the alcoholic sociopath Begbie in "Trainspotting" with the likability of

"Gaz," the leader of the slippery-clothed blokes in "The Full Monty." He and Jackson are game for some ultra-violent mischief, but the filmmakers haven't given them much to work with.

At no point does "Formula 51" take itself too seriously, and that's a good thing. The film has no socially redeeming value whatsoever, so the over-the-top manner in which it is presented is necessary. There are some particularly funny elements, including Elmo's predisposition toward golf and multiple instances in which dim-witted henchmen accidentally exterminate people who were supposed to stay alive.

This movie is not for the squeamish. It's got plenty of blood and other human by-products, despicable characters and loutish behavior. In other words, those folks who loved "Pulp Fiction" -- which set an insurmountable bar for this brand of crime caper -- are the ones who will get the biggest kick out of "Formula 51."

For a particular audience, it certainly qualifies as a guilty pleasure -- simultaneously funny and foul, flashy and forgettable. It's not a good film, but it's got enough pizazz to hold one's attention. Plus, nothing is ever too dull when Samuel L. Jackson is around.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.