Council Discusses Faculty Salaries

Provost Robert Shelton announced that the 1.2 percent raises funded by campus-based tuition increases would be given to faculty who were particularly deserving or who are in danger of being lured away by other universities.

But some council members said they think this is sending the wrong message to the faculty, insinuating that those who do not receive raises are not as highly valued.

Political science Professor Donna LeFebvre said the policy could create a morale problem. "On the heels of people not getting any increase, an across-the-board raise would be symbolic that all faculty are appreciated," she said.

Shelton said that all members of the faculty are valued but that when the tuition raise was pitched to members of the UNC Board of Trustees, it was touted as an effort to keep UNC competitive with peer institutions by ensuring the ability to retain faculty.

Administrators within each school and department will have the final word on how the raises are distributed, Shelton said. "When it comes to handing out the dollars -- or the dimes -- we rely on the on-the-ground leadership -- the deans."

Chancellor James Moeser said it also is important to stress to BOT members that a similar allocation of funds is necessary for salaries raised to benefit staff members.

In the meantime, members of the faculty are considering raising money for one-time bonuses for some staff members.

Faculty at UNC's School of Journalism and Mass Communication already have embarked on a campaign to raise funds for similar bonuses for staff members in the school, and faculty at the School of Public Health have discussed starting a similar campaign of their own.

Sue Estroff, council chairwoman, said faculty members should consider working together to create one campaign rather than individual programs for each school because it would be easier logistically. Also, some of the lowest-paid staff members -- like maintenance employees -- are not associated with any one school.

Also Friday, Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy addressed town-gown relations in a time when both the town and the school are growing rapidly. "The University's presence dominates the town," he said.

Foy said there are sometimes communication problems between the town and the University because UNC and UNC Hospitals are accountable to the state and cannot think only of Chapel Hill. Increasingly, the people who live in Chapel Hill have no ties to UNC, he said.

He encouraged faculty members to take an active role in town politics by attending Chapel Hill Town Council meetings and contacting his office or council members with questions and concerns.