Dan Blue Endorses Bowles

Endorsement could attract black voters

Almost a month of speculation over whether former Democratic Senate candidate Dan Blue would endorse a nominee in the state's U.S. Senate race ended Tuesday with a declaration of support for fellow Democrat Erskine Bowles.

Blue lost the nomination in the Sept. 10 primary. Bowles came away with 43 percent of the vote, while Blue received 29 percent.

N.C. Secretary of State Elaine Marshall , who finished third with 15 percent of the vote, pledged her support to Bowles at his election night celebration.

Bowles' Republican challenger is 2000 presidential candidate Elizabeth Dole.

Blue decided to endorse Bowles because of a commitment to help Democrats keep a majority in the U.S. Senate, said Cecil Cahoon, communications manager for Blue's campaign.

He said Blue did not endorse Bowles directly following his concession because he wanted to spend time discussing key issues before deciding whether Bowles' mission aligned with his. "I think if Dan had immediately extended an endorsement after the primary, it would not have meant the same to many supporters statewide as means today, when he can say, 'I have communicated your concern to him,'" Cahoon said.

He said no specifics were available concerning Blue's involvement with Bowles' campaign.

Bowles is pleased to have Blue's support, said his press secretary Susan Lagana. "(Blue) has been a long-time supporter and advocate for working families," she said. "Erskine is proud to have him out there campaigning for him."

Experts say that Bowles' campaign will be aided by the endorsement because it brings with it the likely support of many black voters, who make up the former state representative's largest base of support, said Ferrel Guillory, director of UNC's Program on Southern Politics, Media and Public Life.

Blue served as the first black speaker of the N.C. House.

But Guillory stressed that Bowles has other obstacles, such as grabbing independents and undecided moderates.

He said Bowles' association with former President Clinton, whom he served under as chief of staff from 1996-98, as well as support from Democrats such as former N.C. Gov. Jim Hunt, also make him appealing to blacks on his own.

Blue's endorsement is important to Bowles' campaign because it encourages another of the major Democratic constituencies to vote for Bowles, said UNC political science Professor Thad Beyle. He said Marshall performed a similar service with her popularity among female voters.

It is almost always to a nominee's advantage to have his primary opponents' support because it strengthens a candidacy, Guillory said. He stressed that it is especially important in this case because Bowles and Blue share the same position on many issues.

"It shows that Bowles has the political skills to come to some understanding with his opponents," Guillory said. "I'm sure Dan Blue wishes he had defeated Erskine, (but) he didn't. It took a little while for the wounds to heal, but now that piece of the challenge before Bowles is accomplished."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.