Fair Features Folk, N.C. History

Twice daily, the N.C. State Fair Folk Festival brings North Carolinians back to their roots.

The next two weeks will feature thousands of performers of all ages competing in more than 20 categories that include clogging, instrumental, vocal and country line-dancing.

Drawing overflowing crowds at each show, the festival allows visitors either to sit and stay awhile or to stand at the back and catch a few acts. With rapidly changing performers and minimal setup times, a few minutes at the folk festival could include a bluegrass band, a clogging performance and a vocal solo -- all performed by separate artists with distinct styles.

Although the festival is primarily an outlet for a wide range of performers, there remains more than $1,500 in cash prizes that will be awarded. Prizes are awarded based on authenticity, enthusiasm, audience appeal, appearance and competency.

According to N.C. State Fair Web site, the most important part of the folk festival is both to preserve traditional music and dance and to provide fairgoers with free entertainment.

Director Annette Pulley and other organizers have a lot of history on their side. Started in 1948 by State Fair manager J.S. Dorton and friend Buncom Lamar Lunsford, the festival has highlighted the deep history of North Carolina's musical vernacular and culture.

The festival has proven to be popular with fairgoers of all ages -- younger audiences seem to be drawn to the comparably young performers who constitute many of the acts.

Adrian Putnam, 8, rhythmically bounced in her chair to a vocal performance of the traditional song "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow."

"I love seeing kids like me on stage," she said.

Parents also enjoyed and appreciated the event.

"Events like this remind us all what the State Fair is all about," said Knightdale resident Elizabeth Brown.

In a fair often characterized by rides and fatty foods, the Folk Festival allows traditional history to penetrate through the bright lights.

"You don't see heritage and culture like this very often," Brown said. "Some people have never seen it before today."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.