Greene's Defense Aids Tar Heels

Outside hitter Laura Greene came up with an athletic dig to prolong the rally, and set up the Tar Heels for the kill. UNC would reverse that momentum and go on a run to win the game.

With efforts like Greene's, the 11th-ranked UNC volleyball team has reached a new pinnacle of success -- and it's done so with stellar defense.

Against Georgia Tech on Oct. 5, Greene passed former Tar Heel Katie Galloway's career ACC record of 1,258 digs. With eight digs on Friday, Greene pushed her career total to 1,269.

"It doesn't mean anything to me right now. Maybe looking back on it in 10 years it will mean something," Greene said. "We have a great class (with seniors Greene, Eve Rackham, Holly Strauss and Malaika Underwood). We've pushed each other since freshman year to get better."

Greene is one of the best defensive players in ACC history and is also one of the players who helped build the foundation for the Tar Heels' defensive prowess.

"That second game (on Friday) she just came out from nowhere and played the ball. She turned the whole game around," said UNC coach Joe Sagula.

Greene has done that throughout her career.

"She tries to lead by example," Underwood said. "She'll make big plays and people respond to that. When she's playing well it excites me, when I'm playing well it excites her. "

In addition to Greene, Sagula has had some great defensive players come through his program, such as Galloway and Liz Berg, who were both named to the ACC 50th Anniversary team.

"Without question, some of these players -- Laura, Eve, Malaika and Holly -- all missed out on having graduated a year late," Sagula said.

"Otherwise they definitely would have been on the anniversary team. Next time they have an anniversary team, these four seniors are going to be significant people -- especially Laura."

Greene has come a long way in her career. While at Forbush High School in Yadkinville, she was one of the best players in North Carolina. But that didn't make her a blue-chip recruit.

"She was somewhat recruited out of high school, but she's from a small area," said Sagula. "We had a good eye. A lot of people that didn't recruit her were like 'Whoa!' Would she be one of the top players in the nation? A lot of our opponents didn't think so."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.