Kneipper Takes Advantage of Scoring Opportunities

He scored twice to lead the Tar Heels to a 2-0 win against George Mason. The goals gave him 11 on the season, ranking him third in the ACC.

Kneipper netted his first goal in the 64th minute off a looping serve from midfielder Matt Crawford.

"Matt dropped a perfect ball over the sweeper's head," Kneipper said. "I chested it down and hit it as hard as I could."

Kneipper's shot scooted underneath George Mason goalkeeper John O'Hara into the bottom left corner of the goal.

Kneipper's second goal came on a breakaway. With no defender in sight, he took his time and scored easily to seal the victory with just more than two minutes left.

Kneipper now has 31 goals in his career, tying him for fifth on UNC's all-time list. His knack for scoring doesn't stem from breakaway speed or a booming foot. The 6-foot-3-inch senior uses his size as well as his location on the field to score goals.

"He plays the closest to the goal," said UNC coach Elmar Bolowich. "So he's going to get chances."

Crawford, though, was a bit more effusive in his praise.

"He's a great target," Crawford said. "He's easy to find, and he makes smart runs. If you give him a bad ball, he can still put a shot on the net."

Kneipper usually tries to head the ball into the net, but Tuesday night he gave UNC the victory with his left foot.

Said Crawford of the first goal, "He tucked it in there nicely."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.