Officials Seek Student Views in Sessions

Student Body President Jen Daum said the executive branch of student government invited leaders of select student groups to attend the discussion sessions to voice opinions and concerns regarding student government.

"Basically we're holding forums with leaders of different campus groups to find out how we can collaborate and more effectively work with other student organizations," Daum said. "We're asking them how we can be more effective in general."

She said feedback from other organizations is crucial because it helps officials be better-oriented to serve the needs of the students. "These discussion forums will help us understand and represent the students better," Daum said.

The two sessions held Wednesday involved discussion with service and community outreach groups and members of the minority community.

Ashley Castevens, executive assistant to Student Body Vice President Aaron Hiller, said the sessions were closed to the public, at least for now.

"We're doing them by invitation right now," Castevens said. "But we're also encouraging anyone interested to contact us so we can set up a session."

Castevens said that the discussion sessions are informal and that the attendees set the agenda.

"We sat down and discussed any problems and questions they had for us," she said. "We mainly talked about collaboration and how to work together so both sides can help each other."

Castevens said the first meetings were successful, giving student leaders a different vantage point on certain issues.

"It's good to have open dialogue with these groups," she said. "It gives us a perspective that we don't normally have."

Five other discussion sessions are on the calendar, with officials set to meet with leaders from the disabled and Greek communities in separate sessions Sunday.

Other discussions already planned include Oct. 13 meetings with leaders from the black community and another with lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender officials.

The last scheduled meeting will occur Oct. 14 and will involve social justice leaders.

Castevens said officials are working on solidifying the logistics of the discussion sessions so all parties can be represented, as conflicts prevented all officers from being at the first two sessions.

She said the seven scheduled discussions are the "first round," adding that there will be more sessions to follow throughout the year. Officials already have begun planning a session involving an arts group on campus.

"This is just a start," Castevens said. "We hope to meet two or three more times with every group, and others, after the first round."

Daum identified the discussion sections as a necessary step toward achieving the stated objectives of student government this year.

"We have an obligation to help ensure that student organizations are run successfully and efficiently," Daum said.

"This discussion and community feedback will help us achieve that goal."