Police Alter Enforcement of Noise Laws

Police effectively used training techniques to quell problems North Forest Hills residents were having with a duplex of students on Dixie Drive.

The noise ordinance on the books went into effect Sept. 24, 2001, and has a daytime 50-decibel limit and a nighttime limit of 45 decibels. The town defines daytime as between 7 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Captain Everett Johnson of the Chapel Hill Police Department said the noise level of 45 decibels is equivalent to two people carrying on a conversation, which he says doesn't leave room for hunting down noisy students.

"The ordinance doesn't single out students," Johnson said. "It goes for any and everybody."

Some complaints that would violate the ordinance would be loud music, a dog barking or loud parties.

"Noise complaints are not limited to students," Officer Chris Blue said. Blue is one of the officers who helped settled the North Forest Hills dispute.

Johnson said students have been compliant with the ordinance from what he has seen.

"It doesn't mean you can't play amplified music, but you must stay within the designated noise level when doing it."

Police said they do not single out certain neighborhoods or groups of people when inspecting for noise levels.

Blue said the complaints they receive are from parties held by both students and adults. "Sometimes it's adults simply having a barbecue that brings the complaints," Blue said.

The noise complaints are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. Blue said police take complaints seriously and respond to all of them. "Every 911 call dispatches an officer."

Students are not receiving more calls than other residents, Johnson added.

But Chapel Hill resident and UNC student Alex Vachon said the changes target students more than residents. "(The new ordinance) caters towards residents," he said.

Johnson said people can buy permits from the police department to lessen regulations for a limited time period.

Vachon said that the permits would allow them to play loud music but that they are too expensive.

"We're college kids on college budgets," he said.

Chapel Hill police have received up to 16 hours of additional training on the changes and procedures in enforcing the noise levels.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.