Rackham on Pace to Make 1,000 Digs

Ultimately, a setter's level of play determines a team's success. Because setters do the grunt work, facilitating scoring rather than consistently putting points on the board, their work can be easily overlooked.

But North Carolina setter Eve Rackham deserves some attention.

After racking up six digs against N.C. State on Friday, the senior is four away from 1,000 in her career. Rackham averages 2.61 digs per game, third on the team.

But true to her role, Rackham quickly deflects attention from herself.

"Everything relates back to the team," Rackham said. "I never set any personal goals. If everybody's playing well then they make you look good."

Great setters are not new to UNC coach Joe Sagula's program.

"This is the position I've taken the most pride in," Sagula said. "As far as the best I've coached, there's Amy Peistrup, Erin Berg and then Eve Rackham."

Peistrup and Berg were both recently named to the ACC's 50th anniversary team. Peistrup is second all time in digs with 1,245, and Berg has the second highest assist average in UNC history with 12.56 assists per game. Who is she second to? Rackham.

Rackham's intensity puts her among the best, and even in an understated position, her personality shines through.

"What we always said about Eve is she brings a certain attitude, and sometimes it gets her in trouble," Sagula said. "She wants hitters to kill every ball, and that can be a good and bad thing. She's a gamer."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.