SI Ranks UNC 8th Best Sports Program

In a recent Sports Illustrated ranking, UNC received the honor of being named the eighth best sports college in the United States.

The ranking, released this month, compared Div. I schools by sports teams' performances in 2001-02, NCAA standings, number of varsity, club and intramural teams, range of recreational facilities and presence of spirit-boosting activities.

Sports Illustrated remarked how in the "fall season alone, Tar Heels won (the) national title in men's soccer, finished second in women's soccer and made top 20 in four other sports."

The ranking also noted that the football team can be credited with two of this year's first six NFL draftees -- Julius Peppers and Ryan Sims.

UNC's rank of eighth places it directly behind Minnesota, while Texas and Stanford top off the list.

Men's soccer coach Elmar Bolowich was not at all surprised by the honor.

"Looking at the entire athletic department, we have fantastic coaches in all our sports, fantastic administration that supports the athletics and great athletes," Bolowich said.

Steve Kirschner, associate athletics director for athletic communications, also said the ranking was well deserved.

"This isn't a new thing -- for a long time, people have respected our program both for how successful our program is and for the way in which we compete at a high level," Kirschner said.

Bolowich noted that one thing that sets UNC apart is its broad-based athletic program of 28 varsity sports, which many other schools don't have.

Kirschner said what makes UNC a strong force is the consistency with which all UNC sports are competitive across the board. "We don't hinge on just one program," he said.

Kirschner said the ranking was especially impressive considering that the men's basketball team, which has historically pushed UNC into the national spotlight, did not have a good year.

"Even a year when we didn't have a great year in men's basketball, we had a great year across the board," Kirschner said. "In a backward sort of way, that's a compliment to the program."

Officials said the Sports Illustrated ranking will definitely help UNC's visibility as a strong athletic university.

But Carolina Athletic Association President Kris Willett said sports aren't the only reason athletes are drawn to UNC.

"It's the atmosphere, it's the pride of UNC athletics, the facilities are nice, the price is good -- all of those things put together make UNC an incredible offer that no athlete could resist."