Swim Team Will Navigate Home Waters More Often

The Tar Heels will be hosting 11 of their 13 meets, as well as the ACC tournament, in the familiar waters of Koury Natatorium.

"It's always more comfortable to swim at home," said senior tri-captain Stephen Mohr.

"You don't have to travel or anything, and I love competing in Chapel Hill. I'm really excited to finish out my career at home."

But that's not all the men are looking forward to this year, they also are hoping to send more Tar Heels to the NCAA meet in Austin, Texas on March 27-29. Last year, the men sent three swimmers, all of whom are expected to return to the team this year.

"I think we have the potential not only to achieve a lot of individual goals, but also to achieve a lot as a team," Mohr said. "Our main focus is the ACC meet and to try to get as many guys as we can to the NCAAs, and I think we will."

But the men's team also is hoping to avenge last year's third place finish in the ACC.

"We're looking forward to the University of Virginia meet because they're always a rival for us," Mohr said.

"But this year we're really looking forward to the Georgia Tech meet because they edged us out for second place at ACC's last year."

The women's team, on the other hand, is looking to defend their reign as the top team in the conference.

"We're concentrating on our fourth straight ACC championship, and it's at home this year, so that would be great to win as a senior," co-captain Janna Turner said. "We have the potential to do it. It'll be harder this year, but that makes it even more special."

Despite the loss of some key swimmers like Katie Hathaway, the returning Tar Heels are looking to freshmen such as Lizzy Bruce and Amanda Smith to step up by the end of the year.

"We lost a lot of important players last year, but we have a lot of good freshmen this year," Turner said.

"They won't be able to fill in the spots the seniors last year left, but they will improve gradually and show everyone why they're here."

The seniors, who have not known anything but a first place ACC finish, say they owe their success to a tight team, and this year should be no different.

All 30 of the women on the team have gone whitewater rafting, camping and out to team dinners.

"It's a good group of girls this year," Turner said. "We've done things to get everyone together, like team bonding trips. We're very focused on each other and we're a team.

"The cohesion between the girls and the team is what has made us successful in the past, and what will make us successful this year."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.