Wellstone Praised for Dedication To Ideals

"He didn't necessarily win a lot of votes, but he had a voice that had to be listened to," said UNC political science Professor Thad Beyle, who worked with Wellstone during his time at the University.

The senator was killed Friday morning when his plane crashed in northern Minnesota.

Also killed in the accident were Wellstone's wife, Sheila, daughter, Marcia, and five others on board.

The twin-engine plane went down in freezing rain and light snow near the Eveleth-Virginia Municipal Airport, about 175 miles north of Minneapolis.

Wellstone, 58, was traveling to the funeral of the father of a state legislator.

He is survived by two sons and six grandchildren.

Wellstone's transition from academic to politician began at UNC, where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 1965 with a degree in political science. He earned a doctorate in the same subject in 1969. He participated in varsity wrestling, which culminated in his winning the ACC championship in 1964 for his weight class.

The senator became politically involved during his undergraduate career, said Beyle, who served on Wellstone's doctoral dissertation committee. He described the period of Wellstone's enrollment as politically tense, with issues like civil rights protests occupying students.

After graduating, Wellstone taught political science at Carleton College in Northfield, Minn.

UNC political science Professor Virginia Gray, who taught for 27 years at the University of Minnesota, said Wellstone will be known as someone who never gave up on his beliefs.

Wellstone, often considered the Senate's most liberal member, was first elected to office in a surprise victory in 1990 when he defeated incumbent Republican Sen. Rudy Boschwitz. This year Wellstone was locked in a close election with former St. Paul Mayor Norm Coleman.

His colleagues in the Senate past and present expressed sadness at the loss.

"A lot of times you only have senators who know other senators. That wasn't the case with him," said former Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, R-Kan., at an appearance supporting U.S. Senate hopeful Elizabeth Dole in Hillsborough on Friday. "We had very different philosophies, but I always respected him."

Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., said in a statement that Wellstone and his family made great contributions to the United States.

In June 2000, Wellstone was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame's Hall of Outstanding Americans, located in Stillwater, Okla., which recognizes athletes notable in other fields.

Wellstone also made appearances on the UNC campus. Last February he gave the first William P. Murphy Lecture in the UNC School of Law Rotunda in a speech focused on constitutional law issues.

Under Minnesota law, the Democratic Party has until Nov. 1 to appoint a candidate to run in Wellstone's place. Former U.S. Vice President Walter Mondale, also a former senator, is believed by many to be a front-runner for the Democratic nomination.

Wellstone is remembered for his tireless dedication to causes he felt strongly about, said Dave Lohse, UNC director of media relations for olympic sports. Lohse, who met Wellstone six years ago, said he considers the senator a personal hero for their shared political beliefs.

"This diminutive guy, 5 (foot) 5, never backed away from a fight whether on the wrestling mat or politically," he said. "I think it's good for America to have people like that, whether from the far left wing or far right wing. Everyone needs to have a voice and someone who expresses that."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.