Applications for Spring Columnist Are Now Available

Are you the type of person who likes to stand up in the middle of class and scream out how you feel about a particular issue?

Are you always trying to give advice to other people, even when they clearly don't want to listen to your opinion?

If you answered "yes" to one or more of the above questions, then you should apply to become a DTH columnist.

Applications for spring semester columnists are now available in the DTH office at Suite 104 in the Student Union and are due by 5 p.m. Nov. 26.

The columnists hired for the position will be posted in the DTH office and printed in the Dec. 5 issue.

The application process is twofold.

In the first phase, applicants need to submit three 700-word sample columns on topics of their choice and at least three summaries of columns they would write about in the future.

The columns should be original material and must be suitable to print in the paper.

The columns are examined primarily for writing ability, but the topic you choose to write about also is considered.

Your particular viewpoint does not factor into the hiring decision.

Preference will be given to applicants who will spend the semester writing issue-based columns that are relevant to the student body.

These issues can be ongoing campus debates such as parking or tuition, or they can be national events examined from a unique perspective.

In the second phases, the top 10 applicants from the applications will be invited to interview for the position during the week after Thanksgiving Break.

Applicants will have to discuss such topics as why the DTH's 39,000 readers would find their column interesting and what they hope to gain through the semester.

Applications also are available for the DTH Editorial Board and for anyone interested in joining the paper's cartoonist staff.

If you have any additional questions,

e-mail Editorial Page Editor Lucas Fenske, a senior history major, at fenske@email.unc.edu. You can also call him at 962-0750.