Grant Funds Arts That Help Orange County

The Orange County Arts Commission, which works for artistic and cultural development in the county, is accepting applications for arts grants of up to $1,500.

Art projects benefiting Orange County residents are eligible for the grants, and applications are due 5 p.m. Monday.

"The two main criteria are artistic excellence and benefits to the citizens of Orange County," said Martha Shannon, director of the Arts Commission.

The grants fall into one of three categories. Arts Program grants, up to $1,500, are for nonprofit organizations coordinating art projects that benefit county citizens. Arts in Education grants, up to $1,000, are for art programs in local public or private schools that can be coordinated by the schools or by parent and teacher organizations. Artist Project grants, up to $1,000, are for professional artists coordinating art projects benefiting county citizens.

The grants, which are given in the fall and spring of each year, are applicable only to activities taking place in 2003.

Shannon said community service organizations that don't normally do art projects, such as the Girl Scouts of America, are welcome to apply.

She said past grant recipients have benefited the county through performances and demonstrations that are open to the public. She also said workshops designed especially for groups like children or senior citizens are good examples.

In the spring, grant recipients included Deep Dish Theater, the Carrboro ArtsCenter, the Chapel Hill Public Arts Commission, the Chapel Hill Museum and Grady Brown School, Shannon said.

The Arts Commission's 11-member advisory board of citizens will review the applications at a Dec. 9 closed session. There is no predetermined number of grants to be given, and recipients will be notified in December, she said.

Shannon said she recommended that people interested in grants talk to Arts Commission members before submitting applications. "It's always a good idea to call the office and run the idea by someone on the board," she said.

Applications are available at all Orange County libraries, at the Arts Commission Office at 110 E. King St. in Hillsborough and online at http://www.co.orange.nc.us/ocac/

grants.htm. Completed applications should be submitted to the Arts Commission office by 5 p.m. Monday. The office number is 245-2325.

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.