Last Chance for UNC, Duke To Salvage Dismal Seasons

Game and time

Site: Wallace Wade Stadium.

TV/Radio: Jefferson Pilot will televise the game. The Tar Heel Sports Network will provide live radio coverage; its flagship station is WCHL 1360-AM.

Records: North Carolina is 2-9, 0-7 in the ACC. Duke is 2-9, 0-7.

Series: North Carolina leads, 50-34-4.

Personnel update: North Carolina -- DE Will Chapman (wrist), DT Eric Davis (knee) and CB Michael Waddell (leg) are out; QB Darian Durant (thumb) is questionable.

Duke -- LB Jamyon Small (leg) is out.

The key matchup: It's all on the line for the Tar Heels and Blue Devils.

This is the game of the year for both teams, the one chance to salvage something from otherwise abysmal seasons.

As bad as UNC's campaign has been, losing to Duke would be the greatest embarrassment of all. UNC has won 12 consecutive games against its "rival" from Durham, which has also lost 24 straight ACC contests, dating back to 1999.

But this is the best chance the Blue Devils have had to snap that streak since the week it began, when a 2-8 Tar Heel squad handed Duke a 38-0 pounding at Kenan Stadium.

It's unlikely that outcome will be repeated Saturday. The Tar Heels have lost their last six games and have been outscored 195-39 since QB Darian Durant injured his thumb against Virginia.

And despite Duke's 2-9 record, it has played a number of competitive games against solid teams, losing by a combined 10 points to Virginia, N.C. State and Clemson.

"I think they've done a great job over there," said UNC coach John Bunting. "I've gotten to see their defense frequently this year playing other teams. I've seen dramatic improvement from them."

That's why Bunting is pulling out all the stops, even considering playing Durant, who originally was thought to be out for the season.

"There are a number of factors involved (in the decision): re-injury, there's taking a snap from under center or one from gun, there's being involved in the game plan. That's one of the reasons I had him wearing a headset for all these games, staying involved mentally."

This game could end up being decided by whether or not Durant is able to play and play effectively. Without him leading UNC's passing attack, the Tar Heels will quite simply be overmatched by Duke's superior defense and running game.

Final analysis/prediction: The Tar Heels have shown no ability whatsoever to stop the rush this season, and Duke can run the ball quite well. Chris Douglas and Alex Wade are a potent backfield tandem that will trample all over UNC's beleaguered front seven.

Tar Heel quarterback C.J. Stephens has played well at times but hasn't been able to find the end zone nearly often enough. It hasn't helped him that North Carolina's running game has been non-existent.

UNC can only hope that Durant plays and that he and senior wide receiver Sam Aiken can will their team to victory, because otherwise this game is a mismatch.

Duke 31, UNC 17

-- Compiled by Aaron Fitt