Must-Win Situation for Tar Heels in Tourney

2 wins will qualify UNC for NCAAs.

UNC's quest begins against Maryland in the ACC tournament on Friday in Durham. Two wins in the tournament would make the Tar Heels' record exceed the .500 mark needed to qualify for the NCAAs.

If they don't win, the women will be packing their bags, marking the first time since 1982 that UNC would not be a part of the NCAA tournament.

"Basically we're in the NCAA tournament right now. If we lose we know our season's over," said UNC coach Karen Shelton. "This team is a great team, but our record isn't as impressive as in past years. I do feel we're capable of winning the ACC championship and we're capable of winning the national championship."

Is Shelton overconfident? With a below .500 record as compared with Maryland (15-3) and Wake Forest (14-2), at first glance, UNC seems hardly in the running.

Yet their conference record reflects otherwise, at 3-1.

"We've played pretty well in the ACC," said senior back Stephanie Fuller. "I think we have the most competitive conference in the country."

Shelton knows the quality of competition in the ACC.

The Tar Heels have always played close games with Maryland. The last five consecutive meetings have been decided by one goal. This year was no exception, with the Tar Heels edging the Terrapins 3-2 on Oct. 26.

"We played very well to beat Maryland, I would anticipate it will be every bit as competitive Friday as it was up there," Shelton said.

Like their coach, the players also anticipate the same type of physical battle that they had in College Park.

"There's been a history of really close games, games going into strokes. I know our game against Maryland is going to be battle," Fuller said. "We're fighting for our lives, and they want revenge because we beat them at their place."

This year North Carolina has seen their fair share of close games; all but three of their losses have been by one goal.

"Its been really awful," said goalkeeper Amy Tran. "All of our losses have been by one goal or two goals. I have definitely felt more pressure."

Tran knows that all the talk stops come 4 p.m. Friday.

"It's do or die. If we lose, we're done."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.