Orner's Kick Guarantees Relief, Joy

But that's exactly what happened when he took off down the field after kicking the game-winning field goal as time expired in Saturday's game.

"I think I thought of it earlier in the year when we were watching tape against Duke," Orner said. "I saw the helmet, I said, 'Man, that would be kind of cool if I kick the game winner and I ran out through the helmet.'"

Players tried to mob him sooner, but they couldn't catch him.

"I tried to catch Orner, but he was too fast," said UNC tight end Bobby Blizzard.

But Orner had a premonition that he would play a part in winning a big game at the last minute.

"I've had dreams the whole year that sooner or later I'd kick a game winner," he said. "I also had dreams that I was going to miss an extra point. Both of them came true. I'm glad the second came true after the first."

So were the Tar Heels.

"It's just huge relief, joy," said offensive guard Jeb Terry. "The season has been so hard for us, especially the seniors, a lot of trying times. You can't find a better way to end the season, beating Duke, playing like that."

Orner missed an extra point attempt after UNC's third touchdown, putting the Tar Heels up 20-14.

Duke then came back to score a touchdown and extra point with 53 seconds left in the game to go up 21-20.

The Tar Heels got the ball and marched it 45 yards down the field to set up Orner for the game winning field goal.

"I think, initially I was a little bit worried, but my coaches back home and my father always said to me, 'You're only as good as your next kick,'" Orner said.

Orner's kick was low, leaving everyone's hopes at the stadium hanging with the ball.

"I hit the ground before I hit the ball (which is usual), but I didn't hit really a good ball, to be honest with you. I looked up and it was straight, after that I was just thinking, 'I hope it's got the leg, I hope it's got the leg,' and I started running to the side so I could see the referee. And as soon as I saw his hands go up, I just felt like someone was carrying me."

UNC coach John Bunting had his doubts about the kick, too.

"He got all of it, it certainly was a little lower than most of his kicks that I see every single day in practice, but it counts," Bunting said.

When Orner went onto the field in the waning seconds Saturday, he said all he was thinking about was making the kick.

"All I kept hearing was John Lafferty saying to me 'Just keep your head down, man," Orner said. "This is going to be fun when we win.'"

The Sports Editor can be reached at

sports@unc.edu.