Perruquet Earns ACC Accolade

Perruquet, a junior from Danville, Pa., led UNC to decisive wins over Duke and Johns Hopkins last week.

Against Johns Hopkins, Perruquet won two events, the 50-yard freestyle and the 500-yard freestyle.

Her 23.33 in the 50 free ranks her third in the conference so far this year and her 4:51.56 in the 500-yard free ranks her second in the ACC this season in that event.

Men's Soccer Nabs At-Large NCAA Bid

For the fourth consecutive year and 11th time in school history, the North Carolina men's soccer team has earned a bid to the NCAA Tournament. UNC (13-6-1), the defending NCAA champion, will play Big South conference champ Winthrop (15-6-1) in the first round at 6:30 p.m. on Friday evening at Fetzer Field in Chapel Hill. The winner of that game will play at Penn State on Wednesday, Nov. 27.

Last weekend, the Tar Heels lost to Clemson in the quarterfinals of the ACC Tournament.

Last season, UNC won its first-ever title in men's soccer. In 2001, the Tar Heels were the No. 1 overall seed in the tournament and reached the quarterfinals.

UNC is one of six conference teams to earn bids in 2002, joining ACC champion Maryland, Virginia, Clemson, Wake Forest and Duke.

North Carolina has appeared in the NCAA Tournament eight times -- in1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002. Friday's game will mark the third year in a row in which UNC has hosted an NCAA Tournament game.