Political Involvement Forces Friends to Face Off

And today, they aren't just learning about politics -- they work in the field.

Andrews is a volunteer for Elizabeth Dole's campaign for Senate, and Jones is a volunteer for Dole's opponent, Erskine Bowles. But as tensions between the two political camps have flared in recent weeks, Jones said he and Andrews have tried to keep their friendship partisan-free.

"We used to talk about politics a lot," he said. "But lately we haven't really been discussing it."

Jones works with the local Democratic Party organization, directs some party affairs and sets up campaign events. "To me, working with government has offered the best opportunity to positively affect a large amount of people."

While volunteering his time to the Bowles campaign, Jones, who also serves as co-president of Young Democrats, works the phone lines, promotes his candidate around campus or organizes campaign events.

Like Jones, Andrews became active during the 2000 election, when she was a sophomore and campaigned for Bush. "My parents are very politically active," she said. "I've always been excited to work in local and national campaigns."

She serves as a volunteer for the Dole Senate campaign, contacting registered student voters and organizing and attending Dole events on campus.

"Carolina is a great place to be involved in politics because it allows you to be active; it gives you that opportunity," Andrews said.

Andrews, who plans on going to law school after graduation, said UNC students who are involved in politics outweigh those who are deemed apathetic.

"I think that there are some that don't care (about politics), but I think that's true of the general population," Andrews said. "The best thing is that those students who do care are very active."

Katy Geil, volunteer coordinator for the Bowles campaign, said she is thrilled with student efforts during the Senate campaigns this year.

"Our students are in many ways driving our campaign," Geil said.

Geil, who is also Bowles' niece, estimates that during the week, 10 to 20 college students volunteer at Bowles headquarters and said the number drastically increases during the weekend.

"They'll do anything from calling constituents to helping with fund-raising to assisting senior staff members," Geil said.

David Chesley, youth director for the Dole campaign, also said student support is vital to daily operations."They are really the backbone to the grass-roots effort of the campaign," he said.

He said that students have been volunteering with the Dole campaign as early as October 2001 and that every month new students join the force.

"These are young, enthusiastic workers," Chesley said. "We've been truly impressed at their commitment to the campaign."

Jones said his last-minute campaigning plans include attending Bowles rallies and continuing to be a presence on campus by courting votes in the Pit and drumming up support.

Andrews also says she plans to campaign heavily on campus leading up to the Election Day and hopes to one day run for office herself.

And though they have different political ideals, the close friends said a good relationship can still be maintained -- even as workers for the two candidates in a heated senatorial race.

"We have totally different opinions when it comes to politics," Andrews said. "But we just try and focus on the things we agree on."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.