Recount Gives GOP Control of N.C. House

But many lawmakers say the key to leading a split House is through coalitions that incorporate the goals of both parties.

As of Friday, Republicans held a 61-59 lead over Democrats. Four counties still are recounting ballots and have yet to declare official winners, which could shift the balance of power.

Democrats have had a 62-58 lead over Republicans the last two years.

Those thrust out of their positions include House Majority Leader Phil Baddour, D-Wayne, who lost his race after an election glitch was discovered and corrected Friday, giving Republicans a one-seat advantage in a chamber that appeared headed for a 60-60 split.

Baddour said he will request a hand-to-eye recount of votes before he concedes to his opponent.

The shift in power also has led to questions about who will be the next House speaker. Several candidates have emerged, including House Minority Leader Leo Daughtry, R-Johnston -- but he is not without his critics.

Rep. Connie Wilson, R-Mecklenburg, who has expressed interest in the position, said she thinks the job will require someone capable of listening. She said she thinks Daughtry will encounter problems when faced with members of the Republican caucus who have said they would never vote for him as speaker.

Daughtry's personal ambitions might have overshadowed his dedication to serving the state, said Rep. Richard Morgan, R-Moore, a former House minority leader and possible speaker candidate.

"I can assure you that I've tried to put the best interests of the state first as opposed to my own personal political ambitions or to launching a campaign for governor," Morgan said.

But Daughtry said he hopes that he has enough party support to receive the speaker nomination. He said that it is impossible to avoid making enemies when one has been in a leadership position as long as he has but that he hopes he has enough support to be successful.

"I'm going to try to get the nomination," he said. "I'm going to do my best."

Morgan said the most important feature in a speaker is the ability to compromise. "I'm not idealistic to believe you can appeal to all legislators, but we have to find a way to develop coalitions in order to ... govern effectively."

But Baddour said a party majority does not ensure that a speaker will be elected from that party. He said he thinks it is possible for House Speaker Jim Black, D-Mecklenburg, to position himself in a way that is appealing to both parties. "I feel that (Black) will be able to put together a coalition to lead the house of Democrats and Republicans."

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.