Rejuvenated Men's Soccer Team Ready for 1st Round of ACCs

After a 14-day stretch, from Sept. 28 through Oct. 12, the North Carolina men's soccer team was in dire need of refreshment. It had lost three out of five matches (to Duke, Maryland and Virginia Commonwealth), and to some, the outlook for the remainder of the year looked bleak.

"There was never a point that we didn't think we couldn't turn around, but that's the point that it was a big eye opener," junior defender Logan Pause said of the skid. "We had to turn it around. We didn't have a choice."

The overwhelming expectations of defending their national title, combined with the tensions that accompany a losing environment, made it was time for some serious discussion.

"The seniors, we got together after the VCU loss, and then decided that's not how we want to go out," said senior forward David Testo. "We stopped talking and started leading."

Since talking ceased, UNC has gone 5-0-1 and carries a truckload of momentum into its first-round ACC Tournament match against Clemson tonight at Cary's SAS Stadium at 8 p.m.

"It just shows that we've come together as a group on the field and off the field," said Pause. "We had, obviously, some struggles with some stuff off the field, but it shows that we're starting to pull it together."

One of those struggles was handling the loss of Testo, whom UNC coach Elmar Bolowich suspended for two games following an arrest on an assault charge in September.

"It did have an effect on the team, but it wasn't talked about," Testo said of the incident. "We need everybody on the field, and if a senior is out because of off-the-field stuff that brings the team down."

But the charges have since been dropped, freeing Testo of mounting frustration, and allowing the team to focus back on soccer, and soccer alone.

In the preseason, uncertainty surrounded how this team's defense would respond to losing three starters.

By allowing one goal per game and earning five shutouts on the year, the backline proved stellar, but a new situation could befuddle the defense.

If UNC intends to win the ACC tournament, it will have to do so with backup goalkeeper Jay Batt in the net.

Freshman keeper Ford Williams was called into camp with the U.S. Under-20 National Team, which is playing in a qualifying tournament in Charleston, S.C., from Wednesday through Sunday for the FIFA World Youth Championships. With the U-20s in Charleston, Bolowich had said he was hopeful Williams might be able to play for both teams.

But after spending three days in the hospital earlier this week, Williams won't play for either team. He went to the hospital after feeling ill at last Sunday's practice, and underwent extensive cardiac exams. He was given a clean bill of health and is expected to return to UNC for the NCAA tournament.

Bolowich said he hopes Williams' absence will not affect his team.

"Jay practiced really well, so we have every confidence that he can do it," he said. "I don't think our program has to rise or fall with a freshman, although he's playing a vital position obviously, but certainly provided Jay stays healthy, I think we should get through the weekend."

Batt needs to stay healthy because Bolowich doesn't have another goaltender on his roster.

What would make Batt's life easier, however, is if the attack gives him a cushion to work with.

The Tar Heels scored 48 goals this season, third best in the ACC, and are outscoring their opponents 14-4 during their current unbeaten streak.

Despite those numbers, finishing has been a problem at times. Two games - Davidson and Duke - were lost because of poor finishing, Bolowich said.

While only game situations will prove if UNC can find it's offensive touch, Bolowich said forwards Mike Gell and Ryan Kneipper, along with midfielder Marcus Storey will have to make runs and create multiple scoring chances in order for UNC to punch a few in.

If the Tar Heels find their groove and continue their strong play as of late, then everything will work out just fine, said midfielder Matt Crawford.

"As long as we play hard and don't take anything for granted, and sort of build on our experience from last year," Crawford said, "I think we should be OK."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.