Richter Elected as Congress Speaker

Richter, who will serve as speaker until February's general student body elections, defeated District 19 representative and former Speaker Pro Tem Matt O'Brien.

"This year, there's been something inside me that's said, 'This is what I can do to give back to the student body,'" she told Congress members before the vote.

Larson had to resign from his position because he is graduating at the end of the semester.

Richter served on the 82nd session of Congress two years ago and has worked as Congress' Student Affairs Committee chairwoman while representing District 15 this year.

As she sought support from Congress members Tuesday night, Richter said she wanted to use her new position to help individuals realize their goals.

The new speaker also promised to maintain many of the ideals that have characterized this session of Congress' leadership.

For one, she said, being responsible with financial matters as Congress allocates funds to student organizations will be a top priority.

"We have to keep an eye on what's going on with finances," she said.

Richter stressed to Congress the importance of its future responsibilities and noted that in January, Congress will see a report on UNC's ongoing judicial review from the Committee on Student Conduct.

In addition to her duties on Congress, Richter serves on COSC and has been a vocal figure in the campus' yearlong honor system overhaul.

Sophomore Jennifer Orr will succeed Richter as SAC chairwoman. She previously was the committee's vice chairwoman and has led Congress' Select Committee on Textbook Prices all year.

Richter received vocal endorsements from many members of Congress, although some, including Ethics Committee Chairman Dan Herman, emphasized that with the race between her and O'Brien, "There's not really a lose situation here."

O'Brien was speaker pro tem until last month, when a residency change forced him to resign from his district. He was re-elected to Congress this month in a special election to fill vacant seats.

Before resigning, Larson gave an emotional speech to Congress members, commending them on a long list of accomplishments. As he returned to his seat, the full Congress gave him a standing ovation.

"We are an organization that is enacting change on campus," Larson said. "It has been an honor to serve as your speaker."