Wednesday June 29th

Secretary Williford Resigns

Cites health as reason for departure

Interim Student Body Secretary Matt Compton will remain in the position until Dec. 6.

"Resigning was an extremely difficult decision, but one that is unfortunately necessary in light of persisting health problems," Williford stated in a press release. "I am very thankful to have had this opportunity to contribute to the University, and I remain deeply committed to the goals of the Daum administration."

Student Body Vice President Aaron Hiller said the Student Code does not outline a way to deal with an official resigning in the middle of a term.

Hiller said he expects to meet with Student Body President Jen Daum and Student Congress Speaker Carey Richter after Thanksgiving break to discuss the open spot.

Applications for the post will be open to the student body and will be available as soon as possible, Hiller said.

Compton said he has not yet decided whether he will apply for student body secretary, although he said it is likely.

Hiller said student government leaders will be looking for someone with strong organizational and communication skills to fill the position.

"This is the communication center for student government," Hiller said, adding that the secretary is responsible for making appointments, communicating with outside groups and individuals and running the student government office.

Hiller said he will miss Williford's expertise and experience. "Not only is Rebecca a really good secretary, she is a really good friend," he said.

But Hiller said he expects that Williford will be back in student government when she is able to.

Although Williford will not be returning to student government in an official capacity, Hiller said that he is looking forward to working with her again and that he hopes that she is able to return soon.

"We love Rebecca," he said. "She needs to be focusing on getting better and not on student government."

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022