Sophomore Accruing Playing Time, Experience

The sophomore forward from Michigan has been on a tear the last three weeks, scoring four goals and leading the Tar Heels to three wins and two ties in their last five games.

She scored UNC's only goal in the Tar Heels' 1-1 double-overtime tie with Maryland on Friday.

Last season, Morrell made an immediate impact and started 23 of UNC's 25 games, scoring eight goals and picking up eight assists.

But 2002 has been a different story. Morrell saw only limited minutes in the beginning of the season as she recovered from a knee injury.

While she has played in all of the Tar Heels' 19 games, she has started only three. Still, she has made the most of her minutes, scoring seven goals and two assists to rank third on the team in total points.

"Every game my confidence is going up," Morrell said.

Against Florida State on Oct. 15, Morrell scored two goals. Then, at home against Virginia on Oct. 19, she knocked in the game winner in the 84th minute of the Tar Heels' 2-1 victory.

The performances earned her ACC Player of the Week honors and spots on both Soccer America's Collegiate Team of the Week and Soccer Buzz's Elite Feet Team of the Week.

It was a great accomplishment for someone who UNC coach Anson Dorrance said did not start the season in great shape but has worked hard to regain her form.

"I've been running a lot," Morrell said. "I've been working my butt off in practice."

It's a commitment her teammates say has carried over into games.

"Every time she's given minutes, she pushes herself until she can't go anymore," said senior forward Susan Bush.

Against Maryland, Morrell fought aggressively and found open shots but, with the exception of UNC's lone goal, couldn't finish, a problem that has plagued the Tar Heels this season.

Her first shot of the game, in the 14th minute, found the back of the net to give UNC a 1-0 lead. She misfired on two shots in the second half. One, from close range inside the box, went wide right. With 2:19 left in the first overtime, Morrell had one of the Tar Heels' better scoring chances of the extra frames, but the ball sailed over the crossbar.

Despite the rust, Morrell's teammates say they're glad she's back on track.

"She adds an element to our front line that we don't have because she's big and strong, and she can hold players off," said senior defender Leslie Gaston. "It's great having her there because we have a force that the other team has to deal with because they can't break through her. They can't tackle her easily.

"She's working hard, and we're very happy to see her emerge."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.