Trustees Defend Salary Decision

Moeser has been the target of widespread criticism after it was reported that he guaranteed a two-year, $376,000 full salary for Vice Chancellor and General Counsel Susan Ehringhaus, who will leave her post in January for an eight-month work assignment in Washington, D.C. She will return to teach in the UNC School of Law next fall.

Although the news has upset many at UNC and in the public, BOT Chairman Tim Burnett went on the record Thursday defending Moeser's decision. "One, the actions the chancellor took ... in our opinion are extremely appropriate," he said. "It is not appropriate for the board to comment beyond that."

Burnett also addressed the many recent newspaper reports and editorials. "Those matters are the chancellor's responsibility," he said. "All the facts don't make it into the news stories. ... We understand what the chancellor did, and we support him."

Faculty and staff leaders have expressed publicly their dismay over the pay deal in the past week, and Employee Forum Chairman Tommy Griffin, who was present during Burnett's remarks Thursday, has been just one UNC representative to scrutinize Moeser's decision.

But after hearing Burnett's comments, Griffin didn't seem to harbor any ill will toward the BOT and even said the board, which is designed to oversee all of UNC's administrative happenings, was justified in defending the salary deal.

"I felt it was the duty of the board to support the chancellor's decision," Griffin said. "They're sending the right message that they support the chancellor."

If anything, Moeser's deal with Ehringhaus seemed to come at an inappropriate time, one when faculty and staff at UNC are receiving little or no pay increases, Griffin said. "I think it has a lot to do with timing."

But Griffin maintained that although he might not agree with Moeser's actions, it will not keep him and others from backing UNC's leaders. "I have my personal feelings about it, but I can't let my personal feelings get in the way of supporting our chancellor."

His view was echoed by other trustees. "The chairman speaks for our board -- always," said Trustee Richard Stevens. "That's why we have a board chairman."