UNC Runner Wins Third NCAA Title

Flanagan became the first UNC runner to win three straight NCAA regional titles, and earned an automatic invitation to the NCAA Championship on Nov. 25 in Terre Haute, Ind.

The ACC swept the top five places in the women's race with Wake Forest (76) and N.C. State (83) gaining automatic bids to the NCAA Championship. The next three were Virginia (93), Duke (98) and North Carolina (114).

Erin Donohue placed 15th for the Tar Heels with a time of 20:49.1. Alice Schmidt finished in 24th place, while Jessica Perry crossed the finish line in 25th place. Liz Awtrey, Cassie King and Bobbie Munson finished 49th, 54th and 79th, respectively.

On the men's side, the Tar Heels only competed with four individuals and didn't tally a team score. The Wolfpack captured the crown with 66 points, followed by William & Mary (77), Duke (115), UVa. (135) and Clemson (149), rounding out the top five.

State and William & Mary receive the NCAA bids to the championship.

Brian McGovern was the top finisher for the Tar Heels with a 23rd-place finish (30:47.3). Robert Borbet finished 52nd, while Matt Daly and Rob Roberston placed 112th and 28th, respectively.

The top four individuals on teams that didn't finish in the top two will also qualify for the championship next week. The UNC women will hope to receive an at-large bid from the NCAA committee. Flanagan receives an automatic invitation to the NCAA Championship.