Win Against Duke Alleviates UNC's Disappointment

That's not to say the pain has been erased completely; going winless at home for the first time in 50 years was a bitter pill for the North Carolina football team to swallow.

But after beating Duke in their season finale Saturday, the Tar Heels discovered something that's been lacking for most of the season: optimism.

"It gives us faith," said linebacker Malcolm Stewart. "We haven't won an ACC ballgame this year until this. We've got to take this into next year, in close games, and continue to fight."

As an outgoing senior, Stewart wanted to win the game more than most. The underclassmen rallied around the veterans to make sure they didn't lose the last seven games of their careers.

"We got a win for the seniors on their last game," said sophomore receiver Jarwarski Pollock. "That's what we wanted to do -- let them go out winners."

Junior guard Jeb Terry agreed that the win remedied earlier disappointments.

"The season's been so hard for all of us, especially the seniors," Terry said. "A lot of trying times, and you can't find a better way to end the season -- beating Duke, playing like that -- it doesn't really get better than that."

Tar Heel coach John Bunting said he was pleased with the resilience his team displayed in its comeback victory.

"I'm very proud to have won this last game," Bunting said. "I know it's a tough season, but it's great to win the last one, and it makes us feel good going into the offseason.

"We didn't win a lot this year, but we won the last game and we overcame a lot to do it."

But did beating a local rival give the Tar Heels area bragging rights for the next year?

"Definitely," said quarterback Darian Durant. "But at the same time, we can't really brag, because we had a down season. But just to get this win at this particular time gives us a lot of momentum going into the offseason."

It seems strange that momentum would be important in the offseason, when there aren't any games played.

But it's much easier for the players and coaches to take stock of the season when the sting has been reduced.

Bunting said he planned on sitting down with his team Monday and "showing them a lot of plays from this past year. Most of it is geared toward momentum swings and people responding and not responding."

The Tar Heels know there is still a lot to be done in order to improve on this season's disappointing 3-9 record.

"To get this program back on its feet, we need to continue to recruit, and our football team is partly responsible for that," Bunting said. "Then we've got to really make a statement in the spring relative to strength and conditioning and being tougher."

Reid Earns All-ACC Honors

Junior safety Dexter Reid has been voted first-team All-ACC, announced Monday. Wide receiver Sam Aiken and tight end Bobby Blizzard were selected honorable mention all-conference. Reid is the first Tar Heel defensive back to earn first-team All-ACC honors since Dre' Bly in 1998.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.