Success of Exploris IMAX Theater Grows

The IMAX Theatre at Exploris recently has seen an explosion in ticket sales with the arrival of "Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones" on the big big screen. Rod Brooks, vice president for administration at Exploris, said the theater has sold out almost nine of 10 "Episode II" shows.

Other Hollywood blockbusters have been converted to IMAX in the past. "Fantasia," "Beauty and the Beast" and "Apollo 13" all have been given the IMAX treatment. But "Episode II" is the first of these high-profile flicks to be shown at Exploris' theater.

"This is our first experience, and so far it's been incredibly positive," Brooks said.

Meanwhile, the theater has been prospering due to educational and visually appealing fare, including "Jane Goodall's Wild Chimpanzees," "Shackleton's Antarctic Adventure" and "Adventures in Wild California."

"From what we can see, there's been incredible interest and incredible enthusiasm about having the theater here," Brooks said.

The components of IMAX have been promoted as bigger and better than those of the average theater at the local multiplex. The screen at the IMAX Theatre at Exploris is seven stories high and 75 feet wide, and the 12,000-watt sound system includes 44 speakers.

The super-sized specs have drawn people seeking a filmgoing experience that combines entertainment and education. Brooks said the theater has sold more than 240,000 tickets since it opened last November.

While the IMAX Theatre at Exploris is enjoying increased popularity, it still hasn't reached its full potential. The theater houses the technology needed to show 3-D films. When a 3-D film is shot, two cameras are used -- one to shoot images for each eye. Two projectors also are used.

"To create the 3-D effect when you're exhibiting the film, you actually run both film prints at the same time," Brooks said.

He said that it could be at least a year until the IMAX Theatre at Exploris features a 3-D production. The means to show a 3-D film are present, but the theater's two-dimensional content has been successful enough.

Big Hollywood productions might attract scores of filmgoers after being converted to the IMAX format. But Brooks said that the theater was built as a component of the "Exploris experience" and that it will continue to function as a tool for scientific learning.

Brooks said, "Our goal will be to continue to show those types of films that bring the world to Raleigh."

The Arts & Entertainment Editor can be reached at artsdesk@unc.edu.