UNC Researchers Help Children Write

A UNC research team seeks to assist children in this battle.

A group led by Janet Sturm, a professor of speech and hearing sciences in the School of Medicine, is in the process of developing new software that attempts to help students with disabilities learn writing skills.

"Our purpose is to support all students, but especially to allow those with severe disabilities learn to become competent writers," Sturm said.

The project, which is based on extensive research, was launched four years ago upon receiving federal funding.

The software contains elements of design that developers hope will be easy to recognize and use.

Sturm said the layout is simple and is repeated throughout the program.

In addition, there are different methods of access. "Some children use their hands, some use a joystick and some use special track balls," Sturm said.

Students with the most severe disabilities can operate the tool using a single micro-switch attached to their heads. By simply moving their heads, students can select items on the screen.

"It's about providing access for all students," said Karen Erickson, a coordinator at the Center for Literacy and Disability Studies and a member of the research team.

Although the software is in early stages of development, it has been licensed to Don Johnston Inc., an Illinois-based company that develops and commercializes literacy learning tools.

Sturm, along with Mark Crowell, the director of UNC's Office of Technology Development, negotiated the deal.

"Don Johnston Inc. understands our goal," Sturm said. "They understand the needs of children with severe disabilities."

"Our CEO has learning disabilities and did not read his first book until ninth grade," said Mary Jo Barry, the product marketing manager for Don Johnston Inc. "Thus, our company mission is to provide tools, services and resources for eliminating illiteracy."

Addressing the reason the company took on the software project, Barry pointed to years of rapport.

"We have a longstanding relationship not only with Doctor Sturm but also with the UNC Center for Literacy and Disabilities," Barry said.

Sturm said the collaboration with Don Johnston Inc. is ideal because the UNC team can be involved through the entire process.

"We can keep feeding them new research information," Sturm said.

The first goal of the project, Barry said, is to raise awareness about the need to promote writing skills.

She said that 57 percent of U.S. students are performing below their grade levels in writing, a statistic often overlooked because such a heavy emphasis is placed on reading.

"Making sure the message is clear, in that one skill affects the other and that we need to be addressing each area of literacy to have impact, is something that will be ongoing," she said.

Ultimately, those involved hope the project will improve many aspects of education.

"We will be able to provide independent, individualized skill development and writing practice for students," Barry said.

In addition, researchers hope teachers can benefit.

"Most teachers can't even imagine how to handle students who can't talk or write," said Erickson.

The software will attempt to ease their fears and enhance their curricula.

"We'll be able to help these teachers by modeling and providing an instructionally sound approach and framework for teaching writing," Barry said.

The software, which Sturm hopes will be on the market in three years, should provide a fresh, innovative approach to writing development.

"There are other technology tools currently available that customers may initially perceive to be similar, but all of these tools are abstract and extremely open-ended," Barry said. "Doctor Sturm's research around writing is unique and innovative."

Erickson echoed the sentiment that the new project will be groundbreaking in the treatment of struggling students.

"The Center for Literacy and Disability Studies is the only one in the country addressing severe disabilities," she said. "Our goal is to establish ourself as the leader across the country in this kind of research."

Sturm is optimistic, speaking passionately of her personal aspirations.

"I hope the tool will help teachers who want to develop their writing curriculum," she said. "I hope that it will enable greater numbers of students with disabilities to develop sophisticated writing skills."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@ unc.edu.