3 Arrested After Carrboro Resident Finds Men in His House

Guns and valuables missing from house.

Carrboro police are searching for a possible fourth suspect in a Tuesday burglary where three homeless men reportedly broke into a home and stole more than 50 items worth thousands of dollars.

The stolen items included a hunting knife, a rifle and two handguns -- one a Civil War-era Remington six-shot revolver worth $1,700, reports state.

Police arrested three people in connection with the burglary after the victim returned home from a three-week vacation to find the three suspects eating and watching television in his living room.

Ronnie E. Ratliff, 30, Clyde Chambers, 36, and Wonderlyn D. Kinney, 31, all homeless, were charged with second-degree burglary, two counts of felony larceny and two counts of felony possession of stolen goods.

When the resident asked why the men were in his Jones Ferry Road home, they said "Smitty" let them through the front door, reports state.

The resident then asked them to leave and called police, who later picked up the men at an abandoned building at 309 Weaver St., reports state.

The suspects also were charged with one count each of misdemeanor breaking and entering into the unoccupied building where they were found by police.

After arresting the suspects, police recovered eight of the stolen items, including the hunting knife and two pocket knives, reports state.

Capt. Daryl Caldwell said police still are investigating to locate a possible fourth suspect and recover the stolen property.

The suspects broke into the house through two side windows that were smashed in, reports state.

Police officials did not say how long the suspects were staying in the house but said they had cooked and set up a bed on the floor of the office.

Police reports state that the men had gone through the house and gathered various items in bags that were found in the living room.

In addition to the stolen guns, items taken from the house included a television, VCR, two police scanners and two digital cameras, reports state.

Police officers are preparing a description of the fourth suspect that they plan to release soon.

The suspects were placed under $2,500 secured bond and were scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on Wednesday.

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.