New Year Stirs Up Familiar Resolutions

The new year symbolizes a fresh beginning for many UNC students who are making resolutions to change their lifestyles.

One of the most common resolutions on campus is eating healthier and getting in shape.

Freshman Teri Williams from Rocky Mount said she is worried about gaining weight because of the "freshman 15," a common rule of thumb that says freshmen gain an average of 15 pounds during their first year of college.

"So far, I've been keeping my resolutions," Williams said. "I've been attending aerobics sessions at the (Student Recreation Center) this week and drinking more water."

Rose O'Rourke, a freshman biology major, said she made the same resolution to be healthier this year because it is good for her body and also because Spring Break is approaching.

"I've exercised every day, and I've been eating healthier," O'Rourke said.

Both O'Rourke and Williams said their resolutions in past years to stay physically fit have faded away, but they expressed hope that this year would be different.

The period after the beginning of the year and before Spring Break usually is a busy time for the SRC, director Lauren Mangili said.

"Once people get started working out, it's common that they break their resolution," Mangili said. "But once they get into a routine, they will make it a habit, and that's really the key."

Last year, more than 2,500 students used the SRC daily in January, Mangili said. A typical day at the SRC brings in around 2,100 students.

"The number of students always increases at the start of a new semester or a new year," she said.

The number of students working out at the SRC dwindles after Spring Break, but Mangili said this could be due t o the weather as more students exercise outside.

She said new sample classes, such as jump-rope and power Pilates, are being offered this week at the SRC, and she expects more students once the regular SRC class schedule begins next Monday.

Besides working out, another common resolution for students is to make better grades.

Hunter Wagner, a freshman from Fayetteville, said he decided to devote more time to studying this year.

"It's the first day of class, but I plan on doing my work tonight," Wagner said Tuesday.

But other students said they see resolutions as a dated idea.

Katie Hart, a sophomore from Sunset Beach, said she doesn't make resolutions because she usually doesn't follow them.

"In the past, I've resolved to work harder in school and keep up better with friends and family, but I'm probably not making (a resolution) for this year," Hart said.

Senior communications major Phil Griffin said he doesn't make resolutions because he doesn't see the new year as a time for change.

"I don't wait for the new year as a time to do something, so I never make New Year's resolutions."

When deciding on a resolution to last the year, Wagner said, he likes to set himself up to succeed.

"For the most part, I keep them because I don't set them too high."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.