Rust Evident as Tar Heel Men Fall Short

Swimmers struggle after 7-week layoff

While it is still early in the ACC season, Saturday's loss to 25th-ranked Florida State reminded the North Carolina men's swimming and diving team that Virginia is not its only competitor for the ACC crown.

The Seminoles dominated the short events, defeating No. 14 UNC in all five races 100 yards or less and both relays.

FSU also won both dives, events that the Tar Heels had success in during the first half of the season.

"Florida State's always been a great team," said UNC tri-captain Sean Quinn. "We usually don't get to dual with them during the dual-meet season, but at ACCs they're always a very strong team, especially in the sprint events."

Still, the Tar Heels' disappointment was evident. The loss comes after UNC upset 11th-ranked Tennessee in its last meet, November's Nike Cup.

"It kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth," said freestyler Yuri Suguiyama, who won both the 500- and 200-yard freestyle events Saturday.

The Tar Heels endured an intense week of training in Arizona during winter break and coped with a seven-week layoff, factors that Quinn said he believed contributed to the defeat.

"Traditionally we've had trouble with the first meet back (after break)," said Quinn, who also added that the team was fatigued from the training trip.

UNC coach Frank Comfort, however, denied that rust was a factor Saturday, saying that all teams deal with a similar schedule around the month of December.

UNC's ability to respond will be tested often during the next month. The Tar Heels have meets the next four weekends, highlighted by a Jan. 25 date with No. 9 Virginia in Charlottesville. Virginia is the four-time defending ACC champion.

"We need to become mentally tougher," Quinn said.

"We need to come together as a team more ... I think that everybody has their own personal goals as far as improving their technique and how they split the races."

UNC also will be boosted by the return of Michael Chenier, the team's top 50- and 100-yard freestylist, who pulled a muscle in his neck during the break. The Tar Heels lost both events Chenier normally swims to FSU on Saturday.

Still, the swimmers know they will need a great emphasis on staying focused as they head into the brunt of their ACC schedule.

"I think one of the things we can improve on is our preparation," Suguiyama said.

"It's tough to shake off the rust and get back into the loop of things, but it's something we're going to have to do now."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.