Minus Tarpley, UNC looks to regroup

It's not as if the North Carolina women's soccer team hasn't had to deal with injuries before.

But it's not often that the nation's best returning player goes down with an injury that could potentially end her season.

Such is the case for this year's team, as forward Lindsay Tarpley fractured her right fibula Sunday in a collision with the Virginia Tech goalkeeper and likely will miss six to eight weeks.

"It's tough to say exactly what happened," she said. "In soccer, things happen so quickly. I saw an opening where I could get a good shot on goal, but the keeper came out, and I didn't expect her to come out."

The No. 2 Tar Heels (9-0-1) will take the field without their star forward for the first time tonight in a game against unranked N.C. State (7-1-2) at SAS Stadium in Cary.

Tarpley suffered a clean break of the leg, which means no surgery will be required. Her lower leg has been immobilized to allow it to heal on its own.

Tarpley earned National Player of the Year honors from four publications a year ago. She led the nation with 73 points on 23 goals and 27 assists - her assist total was the third highest in school history.

Her exploits contributed to a historic season for the Tar Heels.

"Everything aligned for us perfectly last year, with Lindsay scoring goals in buckets and the team just doing something that's frankly impossible - going unbeaten and untied," said Coach Anson Dorrance.

In her first eight games of this season, Tarpley had scored two goals and earned three assists.

Her injury doesn't just ruin her bid for another National Player of the Year award. It robs UNC of one of its most dynamic playmakers and most potent scoring threats.

"You can't lose a National Player of the Year and not be affected," Dorrance said. "Her loss is absolutely overwhelming."

Several players will be expected to step up for the Tar Heels in Tarpley's absence. Seniors Anne Morrell and Mary McDowell have combined for two goals and six assists this season, and each will see increased time up front.

Sophomore Elizabeth Guess, normally a midfielder, also could see time at forward.

Tarpley's loss comes at a particularly inconvenient time for the Tar Heels - their last regular-season loss came against the Wolfpack at SAS Stadium two years ago.

"I remember that game like it was yesterday," Tarpley said. "Even though we had a great season, that loss was a huge disappointment for us."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.