Ga. Tech downs UNC to stay perfect in ACC

Tar Heels defeat Clemson on Friday to end skid

North Carolina's Molly Pyles sprinted beyond the endline to keep a pass inbounds during game three of the volleyball team's 3-1 loss to Georgia Tech.

Pyles bumped it over her head toward the right sideline, where Camilla Ihenetu rushed out of bounds to keep the play alive.

This pair of saves allowed the Tar Heels to win the point that gave UNC its largest lead to that point at 6-2.

The hustle and intensity of that play epitomized the Tar Heels' refusal to roll over to the top-ranked team in the ACC. The Tar Heels went on to win that game before falling to Georgia Tech 30-22, 30-24, 23-30, 30-26 Saturday at Carmichael Auditorium.

"I can't be any prouder of our team for how hard they fought," said UNC coach Joe Sagula. "It would have been just as easy for us after losing those first two to not be in it, but I thought we proved to ourselves and to the opponent that we're a good team, and we're a team that's going to be someone to deal with."

UNC (12-11, 7-4 in the ACC) took early leads in the first two games but was plagued by runs of individual errors and a lack of aggressive blocking, Sagula said.

After the intermission, the Tar Heels came out determined to prevent a repeat of the 3-0 loss they suffered at Georgia Tech earlier this season. Led by outside hitter Dani Nyenhuis, who recorded a career-high 29 kills, UNC went up 8-3 early in the third.

The Yellow Jackets tied the game at 11, but the Tar Heels went on a 10-4 run to force a fourth game.

"I felt tonight differently than I've felt this whole season," said middle hitter Katie Wright. "Because there was something different there -- that was execution, finishing."

Pyles agreed that the intensity was there in game three but that UNC still needs to reach that level sooner.

"I think it took us a little longer than usual to get going on it, but once we got into our rhythm, (game three is) what happened," Pyles said.

The score stayed tight in game four, and a kill from Pyles tied the game at 20, but UNC could not stave off the Jackets.

"The last game was two outstanding teams fighting a great battle," Sagula said.

Nyenhuis also contributed on defense with 14 digs, one solo block and one block assist.

"That was the best game that she's ever done, and that was exactly what we needed from her," Pyles said. "Dani held us on her back. She was plowing right through."

But the lopsided offensive effort also hindered the Tar Heels. Nyenhuis had 75 total attempts, compared with Pyles, who had just 47. Pyles tallied 12 kills, and Wright added 14.

"I would like to have seen us have more production out of our middles," Sagula said. "Early in the match, we weren't getting the right sets, timing was off, and I thought we were setting too tight. And then later on, we didn't get kills, so we need to get more production from the (right) side."

In Friday's 3-1 defeat of Clemson 30-19, 30-18, 28-30, 30-21, the defensive specialist pair of Caroline deRoeck and Taylor Rayfield both had career highs with 33 and 17 digs, respectively.

DeRoeck is just 188 digs shy of the school record of 1,558, with at least nine games remaining.

Nyenhuis and Pyles led the offense against the Tigers (13-9, 4-5) with 22 and 20 kills, respectively.

But compared to other losses this season, the Tar Heels were not frustrated with the hard-fought battle and are hoping for another chance at the Yellow Jackets in the ACC Tournament.

"The only feeling I had and the rest of us had tonight was, 'We'll see you in the tournament,'" Wright said. "That's the best they've got. That's the best we're going to see."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.