Hurting Tar Heels prepare for 'Canes

Often, teams will use their bye week to get an extra seven days of preparation for their next opponent, especially when that foe happens to be ranked fourth in the nation.

But instead of getting in a lot of extra work to get ready for undefeated Miami, North Carolina used its open weekend just to heal itself.

Seven Tar Heels left their 46-16 loss at Utah on Oct. 16 due to injury, including quarterback Darian Durant and running backs Ronnie McGill and Jacque Lewis.

"It couldn't be as efficient or as beneficial as I'd like it to be because we had so many players hurt," said UNC coach John Bunting. "I think we accomplished some things in terms of introduction to all facets of Miami."

One player who will continue to see an increased role as a result of the rash of injuries is fullback-turned-tailback Madison Hedgecock.

The senior, who received his first carries of the year two games ago against N.C. State, will continue to run the ball because of the potential absence of McGill and Lewis.

"If you talk about a versatile player, he could probably kick if I asked him to," Bunting said. "He's done everything else besides that. Great team player."

Hedgecock is also a vital contributor on the special teams coverage units, which had their setbacks come in the form of injuries to Melik Brown and Lewis.

It won't help that the coverage teams probably will be facing their most difficult task of the year - containing Devin Hester, Miami's sensational kick returner.

The sophomore is averaging 26.2 yards per punt return and has returned three for scores. Last week, he took the opening kickoff all the way against N.C. State.

"Devin Hester is a guy that you have to be aware of all the time. I think everybody's going to know where number 4 is," Bunting said. "You've got to take extreme precaution as to what you do with him."

But the Hurricanes have plenty of weapons beside Hester that the Tar Heels will have to handle.

In its last five games, Miami has scored at least 27 points and has topped 40 in its last two.

"Just like anybody else, I expect them to want to come and run it right down our throat first," Bunting said. "But they've got enough players that they can throw it any place anytime."

The man throwing the ball will be senior quarterback Brock Berlin. Heavily criticized earlier in the year, Berlin had strong performances in wins against N.C. State and Louisville.

But North Carolina strong safety Gerald Sensabugh has not been impressed by Berlin's midseason turnaround.

"He's not the best quarterback, but he's an all right quarterback," he said. "He makes the throws that he should be able to make. Basically, their offense is based on their receivers burning their guys."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.