Players' careers are tenuous

The day after announcing indefinite suspensions of three football players, North Carolina coach John Bunting did not deny that the suspended players' football careers at UNC might be over.

"That remains to be seen," Bunting said Tuesday at his weekly press conference.

Wide receiver Adarius Bowman, linebacker Fred Sparkman and defensive tackle Isaiah Thomas received citations for simple possession of marijuana late Sunday evening, according to University police reports.

Bunting learned of the situation Monday morning, and the team announced the suspensions later that afternoon.

According to the University's controlled substances policy, an athlete who tests positive for a banned substance for the first time may be issued a suspension at the discretion of the director of athletics.

A second testing violation necessitates a permanent loss of eligibility.

But because the players' offenses Sunday did not occur as a result of a test, they do not count officially as an offense under the policy, said Larry Gallo, senior associate athletic director.

"We look at every situation individually to determine if ... we recommend that the scholarship be terminated, gradated, not renewed, whatever it may be," Gallo said.

Bunting said there is no timetable in place to determine when a decision pertaining to the athletes' futures at UNC will be made.

"When I have other information, relative to this indefinite suspension, you will be informed," Bunting said. "Until that time, it is what it is."

Coinciding with the suspensions, Bunting announced that either Larry Edwards or Doug Justice will step in for Sparkman as the defense's middle linebacker for Saturday's game at No. 11 Utah.

As for the loss of Bowman, who leads the team in receiving with 329 yards, quarterback Darian Durant is hoping that sophomore Mike Mason helps to fill the void.

"He's definitely going to get his opportunity now, and I'm definitely going to try to find him," Durant said. "He has tremendous speed, and he makes great decisions. If you have that type of weapon on your team, you have to try to get him the ball."

Durant also said he had not talked to the suspended players since the incident and responded affirmatively when asked if he was shocked by it.

"I am, especially what we're going through during this season," he said. "I don't see the season going downhill, or what those guys' motives were."

Senior safety Gerald Sensabaugh also spoke bluntly about the suspensions.

"It's a big-time blow to the football team and to themselves personally," he said. "Those guys made a mistake, and they're going to have to face the consequences."

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.